Lost films should not be in the database

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Luna6ix
4609 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Lost films should not be in the database

Post by Luna6ix »

Not sure if I agree with this. There are two possibilities that would make this a bad idea. First, there might actually be someone out there who saw the movie before it was lost, and their input would be invaluable. Secondly, while it's very unlikely, lost movies are occasionally recovered, and leaving it on here, as a lost film listing could possibly help bring it to light. Both those are unlikely, but the example of a lost film being confused with one that is not is also going to be an uncommon situation, I don't think it justifies removing them altogether.

I personally added a lost film to criticker once, trying to see if anyone was dishonestly rating movies. It's been about a decade now and that film still has no ratings whatsoever.

Edit. I'd also like to add that not all lost films are from the silent era, some are much newer, and it is still possible that a film was lost long after it was produced.

livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Lost films should not be in the database

Post by livelove »

I completely agree with all points made by Luna6ix.

Erroneous ratings might be a legitimate problem to address. I don't want to know, how many ratings are erroneously attributed to remakes, etc. I'm all for measures that avoid misunderstandings (e.g. "attention: not to be confused with ..."). But I think locking ratings is not the way to go.