submitting movies

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
gabba2k7
1068 Ratings
Your TCI: na

submitting movies

Post by gabba2k7 »

could the picture requirement be removed from submissions menu (https://www.criticker.com/submissions/)
OR altered to allow pics' URLs

personally it is the main thing preventing me from adding movies/series...

surely i understand criticker- it is better to have picture than not to have ;]

OR

could a script be made allowing auto-copypasting from imdb.

meaning user just posts a link ...and script will fill the form with name, year, link, description (c), picture .

regards.
Last edited by gabba2k7 on Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: submitting movies

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for the suggestion!

The URL idea is a good one, but we don't want to get into the practice of scraping from other websites. I've made a new enhancement report for your suggestion about URLs, though. Thanks again!

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

uw

scraping from other websites.
looks like my English is not that perfect. did u imply by 'scrapping' = converting/taking/copypasting data?

if so ... is not that what criticker users do (at least because imdb link is required in submission forms. plus description and picture are easy reachable. and imdb updates come often so it is easy to find any new films/series you want to add here)

if so ... some automization of submission process is considered by me as a fairly logical suggestion

btw, is that me or the submission menu is hard to find ;] im sure it is hidden somewhere

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

I understand that point, but regardless of the terminology we're not going to introduce automatic retrieval of data from 3rd party websites.

The Submission form can be found at the top of the Resources Page or at the bottom of any set of search results.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

mpowell wrote:we're not going to introduce automatic retrieval of data from 3rd party websites.
mpowell wrote:we don't want to get into the practice of scraping from other websites.

Is Criticker's entire film database user-submitted ?
I always thought this would only make up for a small percentage, while you get the big bulk from elsewhere ?

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

livelove wrote:...Is Criticker's entire film database user-submitted ?

that is why i see no logic in adm position (unless it is something law related). as i believe that most (if not almost all) movie entrances/submissions are copied by users from imdb (or elsewhere). so why not to allow users to have automized script/service insted of them doing the same thing manually)

in other words, users are already scrapping ;]

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@gabba2k7:
I guess there is a legal difference between manual and automatic data retrieval.

For instance, web crawlers and web archival services (like www.archive.org) should adhere to the permissions as laid out in robots.txt. Manual archiving (as is done on www.archive.is for example) is not bound by robots.txt.

And I guess, if you put in place an automatic data retrieval tool, you potentially expose yourself legally. This could get noticed by the bigger brother and it's certainly a good idea not to wake up sleeping dogs.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@mpowell:
I would still be curious, however, where the bulk of the Criticker movie DB entries come from.
(You can PM me in case it's too sensitive.)

gabba2k7
1068 Ratings

Post by gabba2k7 »

the bigger brother

'big brother' companies are technofascists... that what scares me ;] lets fight the leftists !

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

mpowell wrote:Thanks for the suggestion! The URL idea is a good one
[…] I've made a new enhancement report for your suggestion about URLs, though. Thanks again!
@mpowell:
I thought I'd unearth this suggestion made last year, since it would really facilitate the movie submissions.

If the Criticker movie database is entirely user-submitted, then it would be really great if you could help us contribute.