Are there TV shows where you hate one season and love another?

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
5Z5qjRCfM2
1391 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Are there TV shows where you hate one season and love another?

Post by 5Z5qjRCfM2 »

There's an old, dead topic on this, but I think it would make sense to make each season of a TV series its own rating. This is already done with certain TV shows ( for example, Prime Suspect ). I think it is the right solution for the following reasons:

1. Currently many users either update their rating to some sort of average after watching each season, or withhold rating until they've watched all seasons. The latter is unfavorable because then their rating cannot contribute to TCIs and PSIs until all seasons are watched. The former is unfavorable because high ratings of early seasons are not necessarily good predictors of later seasons.
    2. A new season of a TV show often involves new producers, writers, actors, etc. This can result in a marked change in quality which is not reflected in a mean score. ( I consider Star Trek: The Next Generation one of my favorite series. But I don't think someone who based their high score on only seasons 1 and 2 should have a high TCI with me, because I think those seasons are mostly shit. )
    3. An argument could be made that this will weight TV series relatively highly compared to films. TNG would count 7 times as much as one film. I think this is appropriate. One season of a TV show involves an amount of creative effort and money of a similar order of magnitude as major motion pictures
    4. Honestly, anybody who loved the Game of Thrones show should see how obvious this solution is. The different seasons of True Detective involve entirely distinct actors, writers, etc; the name which unites them is honestly superficial. What about those of us that loved the Stephen Fry QI but dislike the Sandi Toksvig era? I invite users to reply with TV series where this is obviously needed.

MTR
34 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Are there TV shows where you hate one season and love another?

Post by MTR »

Game of Thrones is obvious and recent example.

Other tv shows that differ vastly in quality between seasons or simply have seasons which tell separate stories I can think of right now are: Dexter, True Detective, Sherlock, Heroes, Terror, The Mentalist, The Killing, The Walking Dead, American Horror/Crime Story, Westworld, Lost, Fargo...

There are even tv series that tell different stories every episode :!: like Black Mirror.