Adding books?

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
JonSmith
968 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Adding books?

Post by JonSmith »

I was wondering if it is possible to add books, novels and manga?

Also, I was wondering if you could add a way to import ratings from goodreads? Criticker has been the best recommendations sites I've found, so I'm trying to port everything unto here.
Last edited by JonSmith on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Adding books?

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for this suggestion! Books would be next on our expansion list... now that we've already done Video Games, the structure is built out, so it's more likely we'll be able to get to this at some point.

That said, we're behind rolling out other new features and bug fixes that are higher priority. But this is 100% on our radar!

JonSmith
968 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

Thanks for the info. I will look out for that then.
Last edited by JonSmith on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ceekay19
845 Ratings

Post by Ceekay19 »

Books would be a great addition! I use librarythings for recommendations, but it is not nearly as good as the criticker system and ui.

JonSmith
968 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

Yeah, I'm currently stuck with LibraryThings too.
Last edited by JonSmith on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richard_1979
853 Ratings

Post by richard_1979 »

mpowell wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:50 am
...this is 100% on our radar!
I *really* hope it turns out awesomely! There's such a gap in the market for a good recommendation engine - currently the best available options are probably goodreads, librarything, and... ? But none of them are that good - certainly not at the level of recommendation accuracy I get from criticker.

Your TCI system at criticker is awesome. It'd work so, so well for books - and if you did it well, Amazon would gobble you up and make you all multimillionaires. :)

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

i saw this today, if it's of any use

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments ... ement_for/

MyAnimeList
1276 Ratings

Post by MyAnimeList »

I also saw that site a few weeks ago. It seems to add books automatically by scouring goodreads. Then if it isn't there, you can submit one I believe. I'm not sure since I haven't used it. I've read things about it. I do believe Criticker would be better if they added books, since the recommendation engine on here is better.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

if i ever get music criticker i will die a happy flickering. once i win the lottery i'll gladly fund it in its entirety.

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

I would strongly urge the Criticker powers against adopting books unless there will be a system in place to accommodate different translations and editions to a far greater degree than is currently possible for films.

Translating a novel is obviously worlds removed as act and art from subtitling a film. A database like ours for books that doesn't distinguish among the Dostoevskies of Constance Garnett, David McDuff, and Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky would...not be desirable.