Adding roller coasters?

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
boomdiddly
1932 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Adding roller coasters?

Post by boomdiddly »

I know you already said that Books would be your next expansion, but hear me out.

There's not really a place for ranking and reviewing roller coasters, though there are many coaster enthusiasts around the world. Criticker would be an ideal platform (I love this place), especially since movies/tv are synced through imdb. There's also a roller coaster database (rcdb.com) that could easily serve the same function. This is a bit of a pipe dream, perhaps, but it would be a much smaller expansion than Books. As of this post, there are 10,133 past/present coasters in the world. (About 5,500 of them are present coasters.) Also, I know Criticker is a Germany-based site, and Germany happens to be third in the world for coasters (behind China and the US). It just makes sense in my mind.

I know you all are quite busy, but I thought I would ask anyway. (Also, everyone who is pushing for the Books expansion, I'm not trying to stop you from getting your expansion. Criticker's rating and review system is the best, hands-down, so I see why you want books to be available on here as well.)

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Adding roller coasters?

Post by mpowell »

Woah, that's one of the most surprising suggestions we've had in awhile! But we like it!!

I can't promise that roller coasters would be something we'd get to soon (if ever) but we've always had the dream of Criticker being a place where you could rate a huge variety of things. So, as we move toward that goal, this would become more and more likely.

Thanks for sharing the idea!

boomdiddly
1932 Ratings

Re: Adding roller coasters?

Post by boomdiddly »

Thank you for considering the suggestion! I know you have a million things on this site's to-do list, so even the slightest possibility of this happening in the future is enough to give me hope. I also really appreciate that even as you have branched out, the core of the site has remained the same.
Going to shamelessly continue building a case here, as I really do think this niche would be a good fit for Criticker.

Using the "Submit a New Film" form as reference, it would be pretty easy to modify it to suit coasters.
Title: Change to "Name of coaster"
Type: Drop-down should have Wood, Steel, and Hybrid
AKA (no change)
IMDB ID: Change to RCDB ID
Year (no change)
Director: Change to "Make/Manufacturer"
Screenwriter: Change to "Designer"
Actors: Change to "Elements"
Summary: Change to "Description"
Franchise (no change)
Image: Here's where you might run into issues. I'm not an expert in international copyright law, but I think images can be an invitation for a legal battle if used improperly. Not saying this is a deal-breaker, but it would need to be used with caution.
Genre: First drop-down: Sit-down, Inverted, Suspended, Wing, Flying, Stand-up, Bobsled, Pipeline, Alpine, Water. Second drop-down: Kiddie, Family, Extreme. Third drop-down: 4th Dimension, Brakeman, Built In-house, Dark ride, Dual station, Enclosed, Floorless, Indoor, Mirror, Mobius, Onboard sound, Pendulum, Rocking cars, Scenic railway, Shuttle, Side friction, Single rail, Sliding station, Spinning cars, Stacked storage, Turntable station, Twin, Virtual reality
Country (no change)
Trailer: On-ride POV (url from Youtube)
Your score (no change)
Mini Review (no change)

A few optional categories to add: Length, Height, Drop, Speed, and Inversions. (These could all be optional, not the *red mandatory categories)

I know it would obviously take a lot of work to add this, and since I am rubbish with technology I have no leg to stand on. I'm not going to complain. I love this website for what it is already today. I just wanted to share this small dream with you all. Do with it what you will. :)