Adding podcasts?

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Adding podcasts?

Post by CosmicMonkey »

There's been requests to expand criticker to music and books, which makes total sense, but as far as I can tell there have been no requests to expand to podcasts, which arguably is a medium closer to television and film than either music or literature is. Likewise, there is only one site that I know of that allows users to rate podcasts, and it offers only a simple 5 star system and no recommendation engine, so as podcasts continue to grow in popularity criticker could have a huge early adopter advantage.

lamb-duh
1410 Ratings

Re: Adding podcasts?

Post by lamb-duh »

Does imdb have any particular criteria for what counts as a tv show? I've just noticed that a number of shows that I would consider to be (video) podcasts are already here, listed as tv shows: PragerU, The Rubin Report, The Ben Shapiro Show. Democracy Now is on imdb, but not criticker. I've looked for a number of podcasts, and other than democracy now, I've only found conservative politics (Democracy Now is syndicated by a number of radio stations, I wouldn't be surprised if they're syndicated on public tv somewhere).

I also found this youtube series, which was published like a tv show (a number of seasons made up of episodes filmed at one time and then released on a schedule, like a lot of tv game shows), but was "just a youtube thing". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8590476/?r ... flmg_slf_1

I'm kind of ambivalent about criticker expanding from being a movie website to an everything website, but I can't say in good faith that none of those things are "tv shows", and yet I'm kind of annoyed that they are. I think just opening the flood gates to podcasts, in their own section makes the most sense.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Well, the thing that got me thinking about this was the Netflix series The Midnight Gospel, which is, for all intents and purposes, an animated podcast series, but since it's on Netflix and by the guy who created Adventure Time, no one would really dispute that it's also a television show as well. As more and more creators experiment with the format the boundaries between the mediums will only continue to blur.

JonSmith
978 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

Podcasts on IMDB are weird. I'm convinced there must be some sort of algorithmic trick to make certain submissions process faster. Since, I've seen some users add YouTube videos and podcasts to imdb, which is hard to do given that they require you to give evidence of the series' notoriety (through article links for example) and some stuff on there seems to be niche.