[Games] New Consoles

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
howabe
410 Ratings
Your TCI: na

[Games] New Consoles

Post by howabe »

Hi,

With the Playstation 5 and the Xbox Series X/S both being released next week, can we have them added as selectable Platforms in advance, ready for (pre-)launch-day submissions?

I was also wondering if we think it's a good idea to add the cloud-streaming services - I guess primarily Google Stadia and Amazon Luna (no idea how this will take off as it only launched last month). As cross-platform services they don't really accurately fit into the pre-existing platform options.

Thanks.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: [Games] New Consoles

Post by mpowell »

Yes, that's a great idea and thanks for reminding us! We'll do our best to get these added later this week.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

We've added these platforms:
PS5
Xbox Series X/S
Google Stadia
Amazon Luna

Should the Xbox Series X/S be two entries, rather than one?

howabe
410 Ratings

Post by howabe »

As far as I'm aware, the X/S are just variant builds of the same console (the S is smaller and has no disc drive) and therefore share the same game library, so would indeed be effectively one entry.

Thanks for getting them added.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Quick question: Should games that require peripheral hardware to play such as the Kinect or Playstation VR be added as separate consoles? The Sega CD is currently included even though that was just a hardware add-on, rather than stand-alone console, or is that an exception because it had a larger and more notable game library than most?

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

We'll be happy to leave this decision on the hands of the community. I could see it going either way ... any thoughts from anyone else?

howabe
410 Ratings

Post by howabe »

mpowell wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:11 am
We'll be happy to leave this decision on the hands of the community. I could see it going either way ... any thoughts from anyone else?
I think the ability for more precise searches is always a good thing, and there should be some way to specifically filter for titles that fall under these peripherals, but I don't personally think being listed as Platforms is the best solution. it could complicate matters for anyone filtering for e.g. all PS4 games that isn't aware you'd also have to tick the separate platform for PSVR too to include those titles.
Perhaps a set of tags, similar to the genre ones, could be created and these could be appended where applicable. This would allow a game to be listed under its parent console (eg PS4) and still be easily included in filtered results for eg PSVR titles only.

To return to the initial topic, now that the consoles in question are released, can they be moved to the "above the line" section of platforms when submitting games? I don't know if it's an automatic process based on number of submissions or something or if it has to be done manually, but these will presumably be some of the main platforms for submissions from now on. (If it is a manual process, I'd say PS2 and Wii can be bumped down as the oldest formats above the line).

Finally, I'd also like to suggest a couple of platform name changes:
3DS -> Nintendo 3DS (for consistency with the Nintendo DS and having them placed together on lists)
GameBoy -> Game Boy
GameBoy Color -> Game Boy Color (should properly be two words)

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

howabe wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 7:52 pm
To return to the initial topic, now that the consoles in question are released, can they be moved to the "above the line" section of platforms when submitting games? I don't know if it's an automatic process based on number of submissions or something or if it has to be done manually, but these will presumably be some of the main platforms for submissions from now on. (If it is a manual process, I'd say PS2 and Wii can be bumped down as the oldest formats above the line).
Yes, currently it's automatic -- I agree we might want to change this, to prioritize the consoles which have been most _recently_ under heavy use. We'll look into that!
howabe wrote:
Finally, I'd also like to suggest a couple of platform name changes:
3DS -> Nintendo 3DS (for consistency with the Nintendo DS and having them placed together on lists)
GameBoy -> Game Boy
GameBoy Color -> Game Boy Color (should properly be two words)
Done :)

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

howabe wrote:
We've fixed this one up -- new and popular consoles should now be found above the line, while the rest continue to be alphabetical order