Introducing TV Episodes to Criticker

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
movieboy
1165 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Introducing TV Episodes to Criticker

Post by movieboy »

The adding episodes to Criticker is a feature which doesn't at all fit in with the philosophy of the Criticker. The feature is hacked into the site in the first place & the only way to make it work smoothly would be to add a lot more hacks & kludges all over the place to make it fit in with the site. And these kinds of feature requests to do these kludges will keep coming. There is really no way to do this feature right without these hacks & kludges. This feature really needs to be removed along with all episodes added due to this feature.

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

From Maaxwell's recent thread

Maaxwell wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:35 pm
I understand for self-contained episodes of anthology shows like “The Twilight Zone”, but for generic sitcoms too? Some poorly reviewed nothing show called “Call Your Mother” has every episode loaded on here - why is this necessary?
There is also the fact that, without a systematic approach to adding episodes, there will be always odd 'discrepancies' like this very unpopular show having all its episodes listed while many other bigger ones do not. Or partial seasons--people start to add episodes of a particular show's season and then get lazy or forget or only submit the few they've seen or whatever. There are currently dozens (probably hundreds) of partially-submitted seasons. Sure, most of the more popular ones will probably get added eventually, but in the meantime it is not a good look for the site at all.

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

A finer point to think about, building on aforementioned actor/filmmaker concerns -- even if the filmmaker page credit-clogging is 'fixed' with some kind of filtering system, there is still the fact that thousands of episodes have now been submitted with only a portion of the show's main cast, and no care to individual acting/writing contributions on the episodes. Which means that regulars on a show who have the same billing/screentime have disparities of hundreds of credits among them. The only way this can currently be remedied on the user end is by someone going through all the episodes manually and cross-referencing credits. I would say it's unlikely to happen that way.

saudade
2222 Ratings

Post by saudade »

I love having the ability to rate episodes. I only wish TV was separate, as with games.

comepelicula
1839 Ratings

Post by comepelicula »

It's good to see that you are still actively working on improving the site and I understand why you are working on some media like tv series and games so your audience can grow.
For me, I try to avoid these features because I joined the site for mainly two reasons: discovery of interesting movies and nerding out about film data, two things that are unique on criticker because the search is much more cleaner than imdb and user opinions can be curated in a much better way and no one has a better algorithm to find likeness of taste (I came from filmaffinity).

Besides the problems and all the complicated things to consider when you add subdivisions as seasons and episodes I haven't run into this feature until today when I open an actress page (https://www.criticker.com/people/Julie_Kavner/) and it was full of Simpsons episodes, as CosmicMonkey already pointed out and you mpowell said, it would be nice to be able to filter release type on the people pages. I haven't run into any issues on the TCI maybe because I don't rate series, but some good points have been raised out on this thread, maybe in the options we could filter out some release type for TCI calculation.

On the Feature Request I would like to be able to nerd out more on the search side like been able to search the top 5 five rated european directors that directed at least two movies between 1980 and 1990, or cross search collections like "female directors" from the "1001 movies to watch", but I understand that those things would not appeal to a lot of people. Also trivia, I love the trivia section on IMDB, but might not be suited for criticker.

Anyways I just wanted to write that even if I don't use the new features is very nice to see that the site is still in development and open to users opinions.

JonSmith
968 Ratings

Post by JonSmith »

Another issue this causes is that seasons are now out of whack. Some shows that were anthology-like (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure), used seasons to separate series. But, that's not the case anymore, since episodes are rated separately.

Taher Zeus
1053 Ratings

Post by Taher Zeus »

Terrible idea. Please stop it. I use this site for finding new movies. The problem with Series is that there’s a hell lot of them. Don’t really wanna end up finding half of my movie recommendations being some TV episodes. Besides, Series are meant to be series. Who the hell cares if the 2nd episode of season 5 in a Series is brilliant, while the whole thing is piece of shit ?!!

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

I love rating and reviewing anything and everything. I've rated movies, TV series, and games here and have written reviews for nearly all of them. And yet, I have no interest in doing so for specific TV episodes and agree that it causes unnecessary clutter and little else.

It's hard to judge many episodes in a vacuum anyways, since they're a continuation of earlier episodes or a set-up for future ones. And as for episodes of a show one has watched even a few years ago? Most often it's impossible to recall. This is in contrast to movies or television series as a whole, which I still have concrete thoughts and emotions about 20+ years later.

While I understand there is a tiny portion of people who may like rating individual TV episodes, the overwhelming majority of people don't, and believe it causes unnecessary problems, like clutter.