Split up Certain Games for Different Consoles

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Split up Certain Games for Different Consoles

Post by ShogunRua »

Very frequently, a game with the same name for a different console is completely different, despite being treated the same by Criticker.

A classic example is Strider. Compare the beloved Sega part of the arcade classic

to the NES version, a different game entirely;

An even more stark example would be Ninja Gaiden. The original arcade was a generic side-scrolling beat em' up, while the NES reimagined the game completely, transorming it into the hack-and-slash classic we all know and love.

I would highly encourage entries for games to be split up based on platform in certain cases.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Split up Certain Games for Different Consoles

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for the idea! This is something we'd have to be careful about ... the criteria what can be split out would be difficult to define, and complications arise whenever subjectivity is brought in. We can certainly consider it how best to implement something like this, though!

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

mpowell wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:21 am
Thanks for the idea! This is something we'd have to be careful about ... the criteria what can be split out would be difficult to define, and complications arise whenever subjectivity is brought in. We can certainly consider it how best to implement something like this, though!
There are many instances where it's about as objective as it can possibly be, developed by different companies and ending up as wholly different games, even in terms of genre.

To offer yet another example, I have no clue how to rank Beavis and Butt-head (1994).

I've played both the Sega Genesis and SNES versions. The Genesis version is a collection of minigames and a fun, decent title. The SNES version is a side-scrolling platformer and widely considered one of the worst games ever.

Velvet Crowe
2601 Ratings

Post by Velvet Crowe »

I think it'd be a good idea to use the tab for "expansions" in submissions and add an option for a "handheld" or "separate console version". Granted, the latter is a lot harder to utilize here than the former but it is an idea, I think.

Though I def think "mod" could easily fit into this category alongside "expansion."

MTR
34 Ratings

Post by MTR »

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

MTR wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:23 pm
Was already brought up here https://games.criticker.com/forum/viewt ... =23&t=7942
Appreciate the heads-up.

This is a very obvious and necessary change everyone agrees upon; I'm amazed it hasn't been implemented.