'% films in common' ignored

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
VinegarBob
4158 Ratings
Your TCI: na

'% films in common' ignored

Post by VinegarBob »

I hit the 'Generate TCIs' button today and I was presented with a list of 50 users, only one of whom had more than 1934 films in common with me (actually, the vast majority having less than 1000). This was surprising as I was sure I had set the % films in common parameter to 50. When I checked, it was indeed set to 50%, which translates to 1934 films in common to qualify. So it seems that the number of films in common setting is being ignored. Is this a bug, is there something I'm doing wrong or am missing?

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: '% films in common' ignored

Post by mpowell »

Hmmm... from your description it certainly sounds like a mistake. We'll check it out and let you know what we find.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

This is still the same as when I first posted the topic over a month ago. My top 5 TCIs all have less than 300 films in common with me. For all intents and purposes the whole Taste Compatibility Index feature may as well not exist on this site for me. :(

Is anyone else having the same issue?

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

I thought we had fixed this about a month ago, so I'm sorry to hear it's still happening. We'll re-open the bug, and see if we can figure the problem out.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

We've looked into this a little bit. The code which "removes" TCIs that no longer meet the minimum seems to be working alright.

For now, we've regenerated your TCIs, so that they correspond with your minimum... but we haven't really found the mistake which led to this error. So I would expect it to eventually recur. When it does, please update us here, and we'll look into it right away -- it will be easier to track down next time, because we're starting from a clean state.

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

mpowell wrote:We've looked into this a little bit. The code which "removes" TCIs that no longer meet the minimum seems to be working alright.

For now, we've regenerated your TCIs, so that they correspond with your minimum... but we haven't really found the mistake which led to this error. So I would expect it to eventually recur. When it does, please update us here, and we'll look into it right away -- it will be easier to track down next time, because we're starting from a clean state.

Okay, thanks. I'll keep an eye on it.