Messages sending twice

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
MacSwell
2706 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Messages sending twice

Post by MacSwell »

Most messages I've been sending lately have been going out twice. I've had this problem receiving several of the same message from others too.

djross
5318 Ratings

Re: Messages sending twice

Post by djross »

This happens to me sometimes, too. This has been true for quite a long time, although it only happens occasionally.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Due to the Image Game Tournament I'm currently running I get about 10-15 messages a day at the moment and I'm seeing this issue regularly, although it's probably only about 10% of the time that it happens. When it does happen though I could get up to 4 messages from one player, sometimes across a reasonably long period like 30 mins or so as well.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Hmm... this isn't something we've seen before. Maybe it just hasn't happened to us, yet. But we can increase debugging to see if we can detect why this might be happening. Thanks for alerting us to the issue.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

If it helps, I can point to a specific example where a message appeared twice 16 mins apart earlier today?

EDIT: And another seperate example with the two messages 34 mins apart.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Could it possibly be related to accidental resends after a page refresh? I know the warning comes up about resubmitting the form but maybe some users are saying yes instead of no and aren't realising they are resending the message?

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

It's possible (though uncertain) that we've fixed this issue. Please let us know if messages are still sending twice, and we'll re-open the bug report.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

For info I've just received a message twice from a user, once at 04:32 and again at 06:00 (which seems to be EST). This is the first time I've noticed it since you posted that the issue might be fixed. There could be a different reason why this occurred, but thought it best to bring it to your attention promptly in case it helps your investigation.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Darn. Okay, we'll re-open the bug. I'm at a loss, right now, but we'll add some more debugging and see if we can track down the reason for this.

philamental
1717 Ratings

Post by philamental »

Again, could it be related to the user themselves inadvertently resending the message without realizing/thinking? Here's the sequence to my situation yesterday

1. User messaged me at 04.42
2. I received a duplicate of the original message at 06.00
3. I received a new different message at 06.04

I'm speculating of course, but it's possible the user sent the original message, then left the webpage sit there for over an hour and then returned to the webpage with the intent of sending me the second message. When they return to the webpage, they chose to refresh it (to see if they had any response from me or others), or in the case of a mobile device the refresh happens automatically. When a refresh occurs a message appears asking for confirmation to resend the data. If the user confirms, that resends the message. So is this occurring because some users aren't aware they are resending messages with their actions to reload the page?

Just throwing it out there seeing as you've said you're at a loss as to what else might be the problem.