Search bug

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Search bug

Post by djross »

If I search the database for, for example, "world war", the first page of results comes back headed "33 films match world+war", but the second page comes back headed "43 films match world%2Bwar". So, there are a couple of problems: (1) instead of a + sign, there is %2B; and (2) the number of results changes between the first page and the second page.

Finally, there is a slight anomaly in how the search function operates, depending on what kinds of results are available. If I search the word "world", the results come back as "864 films match world" and the first result is The World Is Not Enough, but if I search the word "dog", there are only three results, and they are all films with the exact title Dog: clearly, if there is a precise search result, then it decides I am only interested in titles that have just that one-word title. But wouldn't it be better to list all titles containing the word "dog", and just place the three films with that precise title at the top of the list?

And, in fact, it's not consistent: if I search for the word "wilderness", for example, it comes up with numerous matches, even though there is a film with that exact title.

Thanks.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Search bug

Post by mpowell »

Thanks so much for reporting these... I've made a note of all of them, and we'll be working on them soon.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

We've fixed the first problem you mentioned, where the next page of results doesn't match the first page of results. And we'll be looking into the other problem soon. Thanks for reporting it!

Skottniss
149 Ratings

Post by Skottniss »

I get "Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '$search_term' (T_VARIABLE) in /home/critic/public_html/search_results.php on line 93" ... regardless of what I search for

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

We fixed this pretty quick after introducing the problem. Thanks for reporting it, though!

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

djross wrote:And, in fact, it's not consistent: if I search for the word "wilderness", for example, it comes up with numerous matches, even though there is a film with that exact title.

This should be working better now. Please let us know if you encounter other problems!