Special characters

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Special characters

Post by djross »

Something has gone wrong with the way that unusual characters are displayed.

spacefloh
2565 Ratings

Re: Special characters

Post by spacefloh »

I just agree.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

I like it

saudade
2222 Ratings

Post by saudade »

paulofilmo wrote:I like it

:lol:

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Yeah, we found a big problem in how we display special characters... and in fixing it, we managed to break everything all over again.

It makes me wish that every language on Earth just used the same characters. And that there were only ten of them.

We've fixed it up everywhere we could find, but please let us know if you encounter more problems! The good news is, the backend fix is actually going to alleviate these character-related problems we've always suffered from, with sorting and so on.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

There are still problems.

One is: some special characters will display properly on a film's page, but not properly on, for example, the feed of "all my rankings" in HTML.

Another is quite a problem: somehow, in fixing the problem, special characters used in reviews have now been "translated" into other characters, that is, into gobbledegook.

Both these problems can be seen by looking at the film Same Old Song: https://www.criticker.com/film/Same-Old-Song/. Where it says "Odile's apartment" in the film summary looks fine on the film page, but this is rendered as "Odile's apartment" on the feed page. And if you look at the end of my review of that film, you will see that an en-dash has been turned into –.

Given that this problem affects things like apostrophes (in the first problem listed but not the second), and en-dashes, acutes, umlauts etc (in both problems listed), this "translation" potentially affects many many reviews.

Will it be necessary for each user to go through all their reviews to look for these introduced errors and edit them one by one, or will you have a way of automatically correcting them back?

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

No, we have a script which is correcting them automatically. But, we do have to find the individual errors, one-by-one. That is, once we discover the "gobbledy-gook" character of Ä‘ corresponds to the character đ, we can correct it easily, wherever it appears.

We missed the mini-reviews on our first past through the system, and are fixing these up now.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

Great, thanks for replying quickly on this one.

KasperL
7227 Ratings

Post by KasperL »