Tags removed?

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
whatismyname
2153 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Tags removed?

Post by whatismyname »

If I'm not mistaken, there was an 'anime' tag, but it seems to have been removed. I can still see the 'remove tag' from FLCL, and for others, I see a comma before the listings of other tags. Was this tag removed, or is it being transferred/modified?

Spunkie
5483 Ratings

Re: Tags removed?

Post by Spunkie »

As the tag creator I removed it after I agreed it was needless in Questionable tags. I mean I deleted tag name hoping admins take the point.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Ah... you've set the name from "Anime" to " ", which doesn't actually remove the tag, but just makes its name an empty string.

This tag had already been approved. We agree that it's questionable, but ultimately come down on the side of inclusion. It's true that it's pretty much the same as a searching Japanese Animation, but regardless, the term "Anime" has effectively been embraced as a subgenre. It was actually one of the more popular tags.

I've re-edited the name so that it appears again.

Zaltys
1207 Ratings

Post by Zaltys »

The tag does have its uses.
Simply searching for "Animation" + "Japan" lists several works that aren't anime. Those include many USA/Japan co-creations (fe. The Last Unicorn) and certain animation subgenres (fe. clay.)

Not to mention that Korean animation (fe. Wonderful Days) is widely considered to be anime....

Spunkie
5483 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

Korean animation is certainly not anime. They are Manhwa. I agree about the possible overlaps, there are also the cases like Animatrix and Dark Knight which are in essense anime even if some are scripted by non-japanese.