AKAs in non-English scripts getting corrupted

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
iceblox
3591 Ratings
Your TCI: na

AKAs in non-English scripts getting corrupted

Post by iceblox »

I was looking at an old submission of mine: https://www.criticker.com/film/Aamayum-Muyalum/

The AKA name was the name of the movie in the native script of the language the movie is in. The name had shown up fine during submission back then, but now looks all messed up.

Any idea what happened?

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: AKAs in non-English scripts getting corrupted

Post by mpowell »

Yes, this is related to a change we made on the backend, to use full UTF-8 across the site. We thought it was going to be a simple change, but a lot of special characters were corrupted in the process. We've been cleaning the mess up over the past couple weeks. I'll add these characters to the list of things we need to fix up -- everything has been saved, so we CAN revert, it's just a slow process.

iceblox
3591 Ratings

Post by iceblox »

Thanks. Since I made the above post, I have seen a lot more of the same. Please update here when fixed.

EDIT: It's in your best interest to have the AKAs in the native scripts as well, because then the site turns up in the results if someone is Googling the movie name in the native script.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

kritikos wrote:Côte d'Ivoire is not spelled correctly in the list of countries.

Thanks for this catch, it's been corrected.

By the way, we're still going through all the corrupted characters in summaries, film titles, akas, and user-ratings... it's an on-going process, and we're not quite done yet.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

No idea if this is connected but it looks like some akas are getting completely lost.

Example:
https://www.criticker.com/film/The-Passenger/
Jul 07, 2012 Charlie added AKA Profession: reporter

But I can't see this aka anywhere.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

This isn't related, and I'm not sure why this particular AKA was missing... it was some years ago that it was added, and any number of things might have happened between now and then. I've updated this one.