[wontfix] TLS support

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

[wontfix] TLS support

Post by livelove »

Dear mpowell,
I noticed some weeks ago you disabled TLS 1.0

As a consequence, I cannot access Criticker any longer.
Could you enable it again for poor folks who possess old hardware?

(IMDB and most other sites still support TLS 1.0)
Last edited by livelove on Fri Sep 27, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: TLS support

Post by mpowell »

Yes, this was actually something done with our move to new hardware, and needed (among other things) for being able to handle payments. I don't see that it's going to be possible to downgrade that, without some major headaches, and the inability to process new subscriptions.

livelove
67 Ratings

Re: TLS support

Post by livelove »

mpowell wrote:Yes, this was actually something done with our move to new hardware, and needed (among other things) for being able to handle payments. I don't see that it's going to be possible to downgrade that, without some major headaches, and the inability to process new subscriptions.
ok mpowell. not what I was hoping for, but I understand.

I thought maybe there is a way to negotiate the TLS version with the browser: If a newer version is supported, use that, otherwise fall back to the older version. That's not possible?

The upshot would be that if a newer version is supported, the payments can be handled, whereas if only TLS 1.0/1.1 is supported they cannot, ok, but those users cannot even reach your site now, so you don't lose their money anyway. Keeping TLS 1.0/1.1 enabled would at least have allowed them to access your site.

livelove
67 Ratings

Re: [wontfix] TLS support

Post by livelove »

kritikos wrote:just because of you
... and many other folks on older hardware. Please be a little nicer to those of us (even if apparently you can afford new hardware).
kritikos wrote:to make the site more insecure
ok so big sites like IMDb and eBay certainly have no clue what they are doing ...
Those sites also have disappeared since due to their foray into these insecure practices.
Last edited by livelove on Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

livelove
67 Ratings

Re: [wontfix] TLS support

Post by livelove »

release date has no relevance whatsoever