[regression] eMail alerts deactivate themselves

Encounter an error, or something which isn't working correctly? Please, let us know
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

[regression] eMail alerts deactivate themselves

Post by livelove »

bug: email alerts deactivate themselves

At first I wondered whether I'm getting forgetful and just never activated them in the first place (although I could have sworn I had). But by now I know it's not me, as I have lost the setting several times now.

steps to reproduce:
  1. I go to http://www.criticker.com/profile
  2. I see: You are not receiving email alerts when you get new Criticker messages.
  3. I click on "activate"
  4. I see: You are receiving email alerts when you get new Criticker messages.
  5. next time I have to login: text is red again (no email alerts)

I tried to reproduce the behaviour by just logged out and back in again immediately but the setting was not lost. (I normally just close my browser without logging off and have to login the next time I come here.) I also can't tell you yet if the setting is always lost from one session to the next, but will keep an eye on that.

BTW, could you include the PM text in the email alert? It's very short anyway, due to the char limit.
Last edited by livelove on Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:31 am, edited 3 times in total.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: eMail alerts deactivate themselves

Post by mpowell »

Hmm... that's strange, and should definitely not be possible. We'll take a look soon, to see if we can reliably reproduce the issue, and hopefully solve it!

livelove
67 Ratings

Re: [under investigation] eMail alerts deactivate themselves

Post by livelove »

Seems to be working now.
I'll let you know in case the issue reoccurs.

livelove
67 Ratings

Re: [regression] eMail alerts deactivate themselves

Post by livelove »

Sorry, but I this bug is reoccurring.

I noticed (I think yesterday) that I don't receive eMail alerts anymore. So I checked all 3 checkboxes in my profile:
[x] Biweekly Newsletters
[x] New Criticker Messages
[x] Replies to Forum Posts

... but after a while all 3 were unchecked again.
So today, I checked them again.
Logged off.
Logged in.
Checkboxes are still checked.
BUT after a couple of hours later, they were unchecked again.
(I don't know if it depends on time, or numbers of log-ins, or something else.)

Similarly, when the checkboxes are unchecked,
my inbox says "You are not receiving email alerts when you get new Criticker messages. [activate]".
Clicking there to activate has the same effect: it temporarily solves the issue, but some hours later the setting is forgotten again ("you are not receiving email alerts ...").

And sorry for the "self-promotion", but since I am here, could I please draw your attention to the long-planned ratings-import-function. Without that, unfortunately criticker is pretty much useless for me and lots of other users if we can't import our ratings :cry: . Thank you.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

This is really a weird one!! I wonder if it's something to do in particular with your account, as we can definitely see that the number of people subscribed to alerts stays basically stable, day-to-day. We'll check it out, and let you know if we find anything.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

thanks. Please let me know, if I can help in any way.

update on 25 July 2022:
The problem has not reoccurred since. I'll update this posting if the problem pops up again.