Upcoming 2011 movies

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Upcoming 2011 movies

Post by djross »

As requested:

L’apollonide (Bonello) – set in a Parisian brothel at the turn of the 20th century.
Black Swan (Aronofsky) – a thriller set in the world of ballet.
Blonde (Dominik) – about Marilyn Monroe.
Boxing Gym (Wiseman) – documentary exploring a Texas gym.
Caves of Forgotten Dreams (Herzog) – documentary about the prehistoric art of the Chauvet caves.
A Dangerous Method (Cronenberg) – about the relationship between Freud and Jung.
Father and Son (Kiarostami) – Kiarostami returns to Iran for his latest feature.
Happy People: A Year in the Taiga (Herzog) – documentary about people living in the Siberian Taiga.
Hugo Cabret (Scorsese) – set in 1930s Paris, about an orphan living in the walls of a train station.
The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson) – set in the 1950s, about an evangelist.
Melancholia (von Trier) – some kind of disaster movie (I don't want to know more).
Midnight in Paris (Allen) – some kind of romantic comedy.
The Skin I Live In (Almodóvar) – some kind of thriller involving plastic surgery.
Source Code (Jones) – some kind of "nature of reality and consciousness" sci-fi.
Tabloid (Morris) – documentary about a former Miss Wyoming charged with abduction.
The Tree of Life (Malick) – set in the 1950s and I don't want to know anything else about it.
True Grit (Coen brothers) – remake about a US marshal helping a woman track her father's killer.

theficionado
1908 Ratings

Post by theficionado »

Might as well help out with my suggestions:

Blue Valentine (Cianfrance): tragic deconstruction of a contemporary romance, starring Ryan Gosling and Michelle Williams
The Illusionist (Chomet): the animation director of The Triplets of Belleville takes on Tati's final script(!)

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

djross wrote:The Master (Paul Thomas Anderson) – set in the 1950s, about an evangelist.

This. PTA essentially retelling the creation of Scientology? I'm in.

Tree of Life and True Grit look pretty interesting, too. Quite a few other films that look great coming out next year.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

In addition to many of the films posted here I would also like to see http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0945513/

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

ShogunRua wrote:
OkkCoCa wrote:Kind of looking forward to Gondry's The Green Hornet, which comes out in Jan 2011 I think? Just interested to see how Gondry doing a big action flick turns out!?

Probably not well. The trailer looked awful.

Probably would've been better if Stephen Chow had directed/played Kato as was originally planned.

also, I can't wait to see Ong Bak 3 (it's out already in Asia, but won't get a release here until next year), and Hobo with a Shotgun.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

I'm also waiting for Source Code like others.
Also:
Hobo with the Shotgun (Denizen - have you seen Treevenge by the same director? It was awesome.)
The Futurological Congress - one of my favoirte novels and Folman seems to be the right person to film this.
Iron Sky - about Nazis moon base and their invasion to Earth
Paul - I like Mottola's films and Pegg & Frost vs Seth Rogen as an alien is just unresistable for me

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Black Swan does open wide on Dec 1. It has a 9.6 to start on IMDb, but that would be just 169 people who saw it at Venice. Impressive nonetheless.

The Tree of Life does sound interesting, even though I'm not a Malik fan. No inkling when it will open.

True Grit. I wouldn't touch it except that the Coens are doing it????

I double second the Green Hornet trailer. Weak.

This is some stuff more in the mainstream in addition to what's already been mentioned. Nothing really exciting, a lot of animation, and Summer looks really really REALLY thin. Sos. (They need to open an Indie venue on my side of f*****g town):

Unknown White Male (Jaume Collet-Serra), Jan 7, Wakes from coma to find he's been replaced.
The Way Back (Peter Wier), Jan 21, Americans escape from Soviet gulag in '40.
Gnomeo and Juliet (Disney, anim.), Feb 11, Gnomes play Shakespeare.
I Am Number 4 (D.J. Caruso), Feb 18, 4th of nine escapees from a destroyed planet
The Eagle (Kevin MacDonald), Feb 25, Roman soldier and his slave separated from their legion in Scotland.
Rango (Geroge Verbinski, anim.), Mar4, Chameleon runs away to discover self.
The Adjustment Bureau (George Nolfi), Mar 4, Philip K. Dick. If reality gets out of whack, it gets adjusted.
Mars Needs Moms (Disney, anim.), Mar 11, Mars, having no mothers, steals them from Earth.
Dark Fields (Neil Burger), Mar 18, Dark side effects of a smart pill.
Footloose (Craig Brewer), Apr 1, Not too excited about this remake until I saw who was directing.
Rio (Fox Anim.), Apr 8, Macaw escapes Minn. cage for Brazil.
Born to Be a Star (Tom Brady), Apr 22, Young man finds out his parents were pron stars so he heads off to Califorinia with his girlfriend, Christian Ricci.
Pirates of the Caribbean 4, naaaaaaaaaahhhhh.
Kung Fu Panda: The Kaboom of Doom (Dreamworks, anim.), May 26.
Cars 2 (Disney/Pixar), Jun 24.
Captain America, yaaaaaawwwwwwnnnnnn.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

edkrak wrote:Hobo with the Shotgun (Denizen - have you seen Treevenge by the same director? It was awesome.)

no, is it a short? The original (fake) trailer for Hobo with a Shotgun with David Brunt was so amazing.

edkrak
3745 Ratings

Post by edkrak »

Yep.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Some of these also have me excited. The latest news out of the venice film festival sounds good for Black Swan. I can't wait for Cronenberg's A Dangerous Method, as I loved both a History of Violence and Eastern Promises. Source Code also sounds interesting. I'm also looking forward to J.J. Abrams' Super 8. As a fan of the novel East of Eden, I'm also looking forward to the new adaptation. I think The Dark Fields (Neil Burger) also sounds interesting. I'd probably also like to see What's Wrong With Virginia (Dustin Lance Black) because I like Jennifer Connelly and Ed Harris.