To the people who actually rate out of 100

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Tourist
622 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: To the people who actually rate out of 100

Post by Tourist »

some films are almost the same level, but I just prefer one a bit more, so I give it that extra point

Ununnilium
1257 Ratings

Post by Ununnilium »

Personally, I use the entire scale, and yes, every point counts. When figuring out the exact spot a movie should go, I compare it to movies that are similar in content and/or tone. Usually, I find a couple of good points of comparison nearby, and if not, I stick it about where I think it should go based on rewatchability and adjust as need be.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Last edited by MmzHrrdb on Thu May 10, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ununnilium
1257 Ratings

Post by Ununnilium »

blucthulhu wrote:I don't really understand how you can rate anything on a scale of 1-100 unless you've calculated an average based on things like direction, acting, cinematography, etc. Too much effort for a guy who at times struggles over whether a mediocre film deserves a five or a four.

For me, there is no calculation; it's all intuitive. (Which means they often slip around a bit when I come back to my rankings in a different mood, but hey.)

PeaceAnarchy
7005 Ratings

Post by PeaceAnarchy »

blucthulhu wrote:Too much effort for a guy who at times struggles over whether a mediocre film deserves a five or a four.

No, it makes it easier. If you're struggling between a 5 or a 4 then it's a 4.5 Think that's a little high, leaning a bit more towards the 4, then 4.4 or 4.3.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Last edited by MmzHrrdb on Thu May 10, 2012 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spunkie
5477 Ratings

Post by Spunkie »

movieboy wrote:
Sometimes I wish, I had ranked my movies with just 10 distinct ratings - that would have generated a Tier which was more according how I liked the movie, rather tha

That wouldn't cut it in your case. If you had been scoring out of 10, you would have 5-6 tiers scored as 6 or 7.

Ununnilium
1257 Ratings

Post by Ununnilium »

blucthulhu wrote:I don't agree; this method just creates 11 ratings (4.0 - 5.0) to choose from instead of 2! Using this logic, wouldn't it be even more beneficial to further extend the scale by introducing decimals to the hundreth place? You know, for those occasions when it's impossible to discern between 4.10 and 4.11?

To each their own, but I just feel that at a certain point the range becomes far too broad and all you end up doing is splitting hairs.

Well, yeah, at a certain point - but the point's different for everyone. Which, I think, is the point of this thread.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

blucthulhu wrote:
PeaceAnarchy wrote:
blucthulhu wrote:Too much effort for a guy who at times struggles over whether a mediocre film deserves a five or a four.

No, it makes it easier. If you're struggling between a 5 or a 4 then it's a 4.5 Think that's a little high, leaning a bit more towards the 4, then 4.4 or 4.3.

I don't agree; this method just creates 11 ratings (4.0 - 5.0) to choose from instead of 2! Using this logic, wouldn't it be even more beneficial to further extend the scale by introducing decimals to the hundreth place? You know, for those occasions when it's impossible to discern between 4.10 and 4.11?

Yes, it's always more beneficial to further extend the scale, in terms of being a more descriptive barometer of one's opinion. Rating one film a 50 and another a 54 out of 100 confers more information about one's tastes than rating both 5 out of 10.

If you feel like it's too much choice, just rate by multiples of 10 on the 0-100 scale, and you have essentially converted it to a 0-10 scale.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

Last edited by MmzHrrdb on Thu May 10, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.