How do you rate movies you have abandonned halfway through ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Post by livelove »

I often struggle with how to accurately score movies. This topic is part of a series dealing with voting-related problems, challenges, phenomenons and paradoxes — all as part of a quest whose end-goal is to correctly reflect my appreciation of movies when rating them:

How do you deal with movies you have abandonned halfway through ?

Can someone give me some sort of advice ?

Sometimes it happens that I abandon a movie somewhere in the middle (e.g. because it's boring or seems a waste of my time), but there just doesn't seem to be a "good" solution for how to deal with hat movie.

There are essentially 3 ways of coping with that dilemma, but they all seem to have considerable shortcomings: rate it, don't rate it or finish the movie.

1) If you rate it, you may distort your criticker profile (especially if you do that often), given that your final score (if you had watched the film to its end) could be considerably better or worse. I have often seen films which are quite fascinating in the beginning, but then fall flat later on. Conversely a film might have a slow (boring) start, but intrigues you over time, or a somewhat convoluted plot starts to make sense as the movie progresses, etc. So you essentially risk giving the film a completely undeserved rating if you don't watch from start to finish, thus messing with your TCIs and PSIs every time you do that.

2) If I do not rate it, I have this nagging feeling that the film is not in my criticker list, although I have seen a good portion of it. Most of us want to have more films rated than they currently have (to have more films in common with others), so not rating a film is a missed opportunity in that regard.

3) And if I find the film boring or outright bad, I don't want to waste time of my life finishing it, because in 90% of cases the rest of the movie is just as boring or bad.

So what do you suggest and how do you cope with that sort of situation ?
Last edited by livelove on Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Re: How do you rate movies you have abandonned halfway throu

Post by ribcage »

I rate them 0 if they're so bad or boring i can't finish them. Not a big issue for me since i love trash and am masochistic about all but the very worst movies and determinedly and stubbornly finish every one i can. Ive only turned off about 5 movies.

Keep in mind that i don't just subject myself to everything. If i suspect i will find NOTHING to enjoy i will obviously not even start it like any rational person.

Midaso
7454 Ratings

Post by Midaso »

I don't do that very often,and certainly I could never rate it above 50 (which should be the midpoint). I read the plot summary on wikipedia and see if the ending is interesting or not and then estimate what I would give it if I watched it right through

VinegarBob
4158 Ratings

Post by VinegarBob »

If it's so bad I can't get through it I rate it a 0, and move on. You could sit through it til the bitter end but what's the point? It's not going to suddenly morph into a movie that you'll like halfway through. Do I really need to watch Batman And Robin after they surf through the air on doors to know that I'll hate the rest of the movie? Fuck no. 0 score. Next!

xanderbisc
2569 Ratings

Post by xanderbisc »

If you have abandoned a movie then don't rate it.

What's next? A movie looks bad from the trailer so you rate it 0 since you never want to watch it?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Poorly.

Bobbles
1029 Ratings

Post by Bobbles »

I never abandon a movie half-way, no matter how long it might take me to finish it through home video. There are, however, films where a plot summary and a brief clip are enough to make it perfectly clear to me that I would never, ever want it watch them for any reason whatsoever (Final Destination part whatsit, for instance). In that case, I have no complaints about rating them a zero.

With TV shows I'm a bit more lenient, since they have more capacity to change over time. I generally try to suffer through at least ten minutes of a show and try to drop in on a later episode as well before I proclaim it a true stinker. The shows which I can't even endure for the full ten minutes (like The Big Bang Theory) are the only ones that get a zero.

hellboy76
6339 Ratings

Post by hellboy76 »

Has the whole world gone crazy?! Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules?! Mark it zero!

lilalex666
2039 Ratings

Post by lilalex666 »

Bobbles wrote:I never abandon a movie half-way, no matter how long it might take me to finish it through home video. There are, however, films where a plot summary and a brief clip are enough to make it perfectly clear to me that I would never, ever want it watch them for any reason whatsoever (Final Destination part whatsit, for instance). In that case, I have no complaints about rating them a zero.

With TV shows I'm a bit more lenient, since they have more capacity to change over time. I generally try to suffer through at least ten minutes of a show and try to drop in on a later episode as well before I proclaim it a true stinker. The shows which I can't even endure for the full ten minutes (like The Big Bang Theory) are the only ones that get a zero.

i agree. this is like an unscratchable itch for me. ive ever been able to stop wathing a film before the end credits

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

i tend not to rate so i don´t "spoil" the average rating for people that actually see it or do wonna see it, but sometimes i try to see if the movie has some value even though i don´t see it and rate 4 to 6. sometimes there´s movies we are just not in the right mod and it´s best to just... move on =) . happened to me with trainwreak for example. . . not a single laugh came out of me. stopped in the middle. rated 5. ( the average ) .

i really don´t believe someone NEVER stopped a movie in the middle in his/her life ...

but i guess the right thing to do is not to rate it. but i often think how can someone rate a movie 1/10 and was able to see it till the end?