contemporary reviews online

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
ribcage
4173 Ratings
Your TCI: na

contemporary reviews online

Post by ribcage »

Does anyone know of any reviewers/sources besides Ebert who make contemporary reviews of older films available online? Can't seem to land on the right google string if there are.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Re: contemporary reviews online

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I dunno, if you're looking a specific film, I'd say just try looking through the reviews available on rotten tomatoes. Whether you agree with the concept of aggregate scoring or not, it's still a useful hub to find a lot of of different reviewers.

Combustible Celluloid and Antagony & Ecstasy are two websites that I like that tend to review a large number of older films as well as current stuff, so maybe try those?

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Or wait, maybe I misunderstood. Did you mean reviews of older films that were written at the time of the film's release?

I know for sure that the New York Times has all their old reviews, including Bosley Crowther's work, available online. I don't think there's anywhere you can view them all in one place, but you can search their film section by film title to find specific older films.

Variety has all their older reviews available on their website as well.

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Plenty of cracking reviews on this site, lots of (weird) older movies included

http://366weirdmovies.com/the-weird-movie-list/

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

Yeah I was looking for reviews written at time of release. Always a general curiosity of mine, but I really wanted to see comments from 1984 on the style of Streets of Fire for its hardcore blending of the aesthetic of its day with the 1950s. Ebert notes the studebakers!

The weird movie review site looks like alot of fun can't wait to waste stupid amounts of time there