[unsolved] a truck falls into water

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

[unsolved] a truck falls into water

Post by livelove »

• type: feature film. (definitely not an episode from a TV series)
    release year: I believe I saw the movie in the 90ies. (After 2002 it becomes very unlikely.) So the release year must be sometime prior to that.
    plot: What I remember most vividly: A (fire?) truck falls into water.
Since that's not a very common scene, please don't hesitate to post any movie you know that includes such a scene. many thanks

I'm not certain about the rest of the scene, but if memory serves me correctly, I think it goes something like this:
Someone drives a truck (possibly a fire truck) and is chased by police/FBI/SWAT teams. I think the driver drives the truck off the quay wall and into the water and manages to swim/dive away or escape in some other fashion (like clinging onto a boat passing by). A few moments later the pursuers arrive at the quay. A bunch of their police vehicles gather there on the quay and I think (but am not sure) a helicopter also lands there. The pursuers then bicker about how they lost him and/or take up the chase.

The upshot is: Please post if you know a movie ...
  • 1) ... in which a fire truck falls into water (any kind of water: harbour water, a river, an ocean, really anything wet),
    or
    2) ... in which a truck (any kind, not necessarily a fire truck) is driven off a quay,
    or
    3) ... which resembles to my description or otherwise rings a bell with you.
thank you.

The following is NOT a still from the movie, but from what I remember the place where the truck fell into the water looked vaguely similar to this (except for the sailboat maybe):
How do you call this place actually? A quay?
Attachments
ZSYHgEz.jpg
ZSYHgEz.jpg (18.6 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
Last edited by livelove on Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:43 am, edited 19 times in total.

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Re: fire truck falls into water

Post by ribcage »

The escape part reminds me of License to Kill, but that was neither a fire truck nor a pier. A View To a Kill had the fire truck, but being my second least favorite 007, I can't recall the outcome of that chase.

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

Looking at the image again makes me vaguely think of a Lethal Weapon movie. They certainly used trucks and water alot, though again my memory is lousy.

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

Probably not it, but What's Up, Doc? came to mind. Crazy chase with no fire trucks but with a bunch of cars flying off a pier into water at the end

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@everyone: thanks for all your help! much appreciated!

ribcage wrote:The escape part reminds me of License to Kill, but that was neither a fire truck nor a pier. A View To a Kill had the fire truck, but being my second least favorite 007, I can't recall the outcome of that chase.

To be honest, the outcome of the chase is the part I remember the least. I'm quite sure the escape was successful, but how exactly it took place, I don't recall exactly. The most important point to me is the (fire?) truck being driven into the water, probably off a pier. I'm also quite sure it wasn't a James Bond movie. The fire truck in "A view to a kill" was driven into the water? If yes, I will have a look nevertheless.

ribcage wrote:Looking at the image again

the image is a still from the 2001 movie "Heist" suggested by BadCosmonaut in the other thread: heist: liquefied gold bars pumped into fire truck. It is not the movie I'm looking for, though. I don't know whether the liquefied-gold-pumped-into-firetruck movie is the same movie as the truck-falls-into-water movie, or if these are separate movies.

ribcage wrote: makes me vaguely think of a Lethal Weapon movie. They certainly used trucks and water alot, though again my memory is lousy.

Lethal Weapon is a good suggestion. It would match the time period and I agree that technically the scene wouldn't feel out-of-place in there. I will have a look if possible. If there are Lethal Weapon fans around here, who could confirm or deny, I would of course be appreciative.

undinum wrote:Probably not it, but What's Up, Doc? came to mind. Crazy chase with no fire trucks but with a bunch of cars flying off a pier into water at the end

Many thanks, but cars don't count ;) it really would have to be something big, like a truck, a fire truck or something similar. I watched your clip though, very entertaining :) There are cars flying off a pier into the water and even police units gathering at the pier ... wow, very close I have to admit!

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Re: [unsolved] fire truck falls into water

Post by ribcage »

I'll say that I'm confident in a lack of fire trucks in Lethal Weapon, just that trucks, water, and locale are similar to your description.

The only other actual fire truck I found was from Con Air, though there is nothing else remotely like what you suggested in that movie.

A View To A Kill ends with the fire truck getting across a drawbridge just as its going up and an elongated sequence of police cars that failed to keep pace getting destroyed.

Also, thanks to this I watched a pretty cool chase from Fire Down Below which I assume was the only good part of the movie.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

ribcage wrote:I'll say that I'm confident in a lack of fire trucks in Lethal Weapon, just that trucks, water, and locale are similar to your description.

truck falling into water will do :) I will have a look.

ribcage wrote:The only other actual fire truck I found was from Con Air, though there is nothing else remotely like what you suggested in that movie.

fire truck falls into water ?

ribcage wrote:A View To A Kill ends with the fire truck getting across a drawbridge just as its going up and an elongated sequence of police cars that failed to keep pace getting destroyed.

ok, so it doesn't actually come into contact with water ?

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Post by ribcage »

Con Air and A View To A Kill unfortunately both lack the water element. I would think that fire truck chase scenes are rare enough that after trying a couple search strings on YouTube something would have come up. I'm hesitant to believe only two movies ever have had a fire truck chase, but I do think I'll simmer on the other elements of your memory, separate from that fire truck, to see if anything surfaces.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

ribcage wrote:Con Air and A View To A Kill unfortunately both lack the water element.

ok, then it doesn't match. The requirement is:
• either a fire truck falling into water
• or some truck being driven off a pier into water
(Could of course be both.) I don't think, however, that I'm wrong on both counts.

ribcage wrote:I would think that fire truck chase scenes are rare enough that after trying a couple search strings on YouTube something would have come up. I'm hesitant to believe only two movies ever have had a fire truck chase

yes, I think that's kind of rare. The only other movie I know is Terminator 3.

Unfortunately from my experience finding movie scenes via search strings on google or youtube fails surprisingly often, even for quite famous movie scenes. I was never able to retrieve movies that way. For me only p2p worked, like here, or sometimes the IMDB keywords. Last year I worked through IMDB's entire "fire truck" keyword list but had no success that way.

ribcage wrote:but I do think I'll simmer on the other elements of your memory, separate from that fire truck, to see if anything surfaces.

thanks so much

zak88lx
0 Ratings

Post by zak88lx »

There is a scene in the TV show Hawaii Five-O where an armored vehicle is driven off a pier into the water.
And it was being chased by Police.

Not a movie, but maybe the scene you were thinking of?
http://hawaiifiveo.wikia.com/wiki/Heihei_(episode)