The rock/paper/scissors paradox: ranking A>B and B>C but C>A ?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
paulofilmo
2428 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: voting: A>B and B>C but C>A ?

Post by paulofilmo »

surely fist of iron should get something??

CMonster
1444 Ratings

Post by CMonster »

paulofilmo wrote:surely fist of iron should get something??

I'm tempted to hijack this thread to describe how bad Iron Fist is but that wouldnt be rude.

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

Anomaly
1894 Ratings

Post by Anomaly »

Yeah things like this can happen. It's an inevitable outcome of trying to quantize emotional response - there's no 1:1 correspondence between integers and feelings, we have to wing it a bit sometimes. After a few mass re-rankings early on I found it too much of a hassle and stopped letting it bother me.

Luna6ix
4609 Ratings

Post by Luna6ix »

If you score based upon a variety of factors and don't have a weight system in place that truly represents your preferences of those factors, then that'll happen. It happens to me too, I'm sure, but I don't usually compare more than two movies with the same score when looking at my total rankings. If it's uncommon, it shouldn't really matter in your PSIs and TCIs

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

Yeah, this happens to me all the time. I used to spend hours fiddling around with my rankings until it "made sense", but I don't bother anymore. It just isn't worth the time, when it'll hardly affect my PSIS anyways. I now only go back and adjust ratings if I actually have reason to see an old film in a new light (e.g I rated The Dark Knight highly because I thought it was the epitome of the superhero genre, only to watch the far superior Iron Fist and realize that that was in fact, the greatest achievement the genre would ever see, and lowered The Dark Knight's score to reflect that

Hawkins
743 Ratings

Post by Hawkins »

Sure, plenty of movies work like rock/paper/scissors. 2001 > Star Wars > Leprechaun 4 > 2001

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

paulofilmo wrote:i can't really relate to this burden.
how come this isn't a problem for you?

hellboy76 wrote:A year or so ago, I went back to my All Rankings and attempted to sort it out. That was a mistake.
what happened?

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

spacefloh wrote:Happens. In my experience. I would assume that this might depend on the situation one is watching the specific movie (and personal time,...). As someone grows experience (even from movie to movie), opinions can change. So i think that not changing the rating is a valid option, because it's correct at the time you give it.
Here is a thread dedicated to the question of whether or not we should change our ratings.

spacefloh wrote:Also i want to mention, as you probably assume, that movies are watched from differnt angles. Is it cool, spectacular, overwelming, is it rewatchable, is it a "classic one" for you? All that matter - probably also depending from one own's situation.
However, my solution was to build a "raster" of referenceable, prototype-movies that I will remember for a long time. And rate new ones based on that raster. Thus, the feeling of rating correctly (within slight errors) will stay within that raster.
Thank you. Could you elaborate a bit on the last part? What prototype-movies did you pick?
And if your opinion on those changes, doesn't that then break your system?

It might even introduce imperceptible errors. E.g. you pick "Requiem for a dream" as a gauge for 8 (out of 10). Then you rate another movie 9 because you slightly prefer it by comparison. Now, 5 years later, you like "Requiem for a dream" less than you did 5 years ago, although you might not notice. Let's say upon rewatching you would rank it around 6 or so – while it is still an 8 in your system. If you now compare a movie to it and rank it 9 by comparison, you might actually like it less than the other movie ranked at 9, because your reference movie has lost some appeal to you. (if you get what I'm trying to say)
Last edited by livelove on Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

zevel6 wrote:It happens. A big part of it is the basis in which you rate - are you rating based on quality or based on what you prefer? Sometimes it's not easy to seperate the two.
I agree that it's not easy to separate these 2 aspects entirely. Here is a thread discussing on what basis we rate our movies.