Your thoughts on IMAX?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Your thoughts on IMAX?

Post by CosmicMonkey »

I watched First Man on an IMAX screen yesterday and I think it finally confirmed something I've suspected for a long time: I don't really like IMAX. Maybe it's just the autistic side of me, but there's something about the IMAX ExperienceTM, that is just too overwhelming for me. The screen is too big and too close and the music too loud that it actually pulls me out of the immersion of the movie theatre, as I'm constantly being reminded of how big and loud and bright everything around me is; whereas as with regular movie screens, this sort of thing only rarely happens.

Is this a problem other people have, or am I alone? Do you prefer IMAX screens? Are Indifferent?

ribcage
4173 Ratings

Re: Your thoughts on IMAX?

Post by ribcage »

I like sitting too close with things too loud so I always get messed up on Imax because I plop down in the same row I would for a normal screen forgetting that it's IMAX and now I'm gonna crink my neck for two hours. But I'm also stubborn and anxious so I never move once the movie starts even if I'm in pain. But I love IMAX

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

We're definitely different. I absolutely love IMAX. Of course, I only really see movies in IMAX that I'm predisposed to liking and movies that are definitely made for the IMAX experience. Thinking back, probably around half of the movies I've actually seen in IMAX were Nolan movies, so that probably skews things. But the sheer scale of it certainly helps immerse me. Especially for movies like Gravity or Avatar that are basically attempting to create a VR experience in a movie theater, it'd be impossible for me to enjoy them as much on a regular screen. I do imagine that I would probably not enjoy it at all if I saw a comedy or something in IMAX, though.

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

CosmicMonkey wrote:music too loud that it actually pulls me out of the immersion of the movie theatre

Yeah you should probably be wearing concert earplugs to regular movies let alone Imax ones. Regular movies frequently go well above 80 dB and these things are usually 2 hours long plus trailers which are always extremely action-packed and loud. They've also measured that movie theatres reach volumes upwards of 100 dB at times and I'm not even sure that they were measuring for Imax specifically.

Obviously, you won't damage your hearing by seeing a movie once in a while but why take the risk of even damaging it a little when you can get concert earplugs for around $10-30 and still hear the movie perfectly clearly at a good volume.

zevel6
4227 Ratings

Post by zevel6 »

It depends on the movie. If the movie was shot using IMAX cameras then IMAX is superb. If it's shot using non-IMAX cameras I don't see much point in paying extra for IMAX.

MacSwell
2706 Ratings

Post by MacSwell »

Expensive and doesn't improve my movie-going experience one iota.

alaharon123
709 Ratings

Post by alaharon123 »

Yeah, I've gone to imax twice and it was really loud. Hurt my ears. Not a fan.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

zevel6 wrote:If the movie was shot using IMAX cameras then IMAX is superb.
If it's shot using non-IMAX cameras I don't see much point in paying extra for IMAX.
How does the end result differ in practice ?

BillyShears
5493 Ratings

Post by BillyShears »

I dont mind IMAX when Im not paying the IMAX prices. Just fuck me up with sights and sounds. I won't do 3D or those shaky seats because I'm not a Rockefeller.

zevel6
4227 Ratings

Post by zevel6 »

livelove wrote:
zevel6 wrote:If the movie was shot using IMAX cameras then IMAX is superb.
If it's shot using non-IMAX cameras I don't see much point in paying extra for IMAX.
How does the end result differ in practice ?

I don't want to get too technical so to keep it simple; the difference is pretty obvious if you watch them side by side.
This of course assumes that you are watching the movie on a real IMAX screen rather than on a "lieMAX".