No Safe Spaces

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

No Safe Spaces

Post by Stewball »

Nothing really new here, but puts forth the regrettable occurrence that Victimism is the leftist version of McCarthyism. Via academia and silicon valley, we've come to value freedom less than the "right" not to be offended or triggered. Typical 53% media critics score on R/T vs. a 98% rating by audiences at this point.

nauru
1667 Ratings

Re: No Safe Spaces

Post by nauru »

Looks good. Where can I watch this?

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

[quote="nauru"]Looks good. Where can I watch this?[/quote]

It opened in 200 theaters, which is down now to 165. Check IMDb.

mattorama12
3086 Ratings

Post by mattorama12 »

I was a big Carolla fan for a long time, but stopped listening to his podcast a few years ago when I finally found him repeating himself so often I could anticipate 4/5 of his jags before they started. I also always enjoyed him laughing more than him yelling, and it seems he yells more and more as he ages. I will try to catch this once it's available at home, but in the interim, I'm curious about the scope of the movie.

It seems to be focused on the issue of universities stifling free speech by essentially placing viewpoint restrictions on who they invite to speak on campus. But some reviews also mention cancel culture and the more general social consequences to controversial speech. Does the film try to make the argument that free speech means controversial speakers should be free from the social consequences of their speech?

nauru
1667 Ratings

Post by nauru »

Now 44% critics score, 99% audience score on RT.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

[quote="mattorama12"] Does the film try to make the argument that free speech means controversial speakers should be free from the social consequences of their speech?[/quote]

No, because so often controversial speakers, i.e. conservative speakers, aren't even allowed to show up, or if they do, they're shouted down. And it only touches on the ignorant student-on-the-street interviews, which has already been widely done.

[quote="nauru"]Now 44% critics score, 99% audience score on RT.[/quote]

Yeah, and what's really strange is [i]Richard Jewell[/i] is 73%/96% while inexplicably bombing at the box office.