New and Revamped Sponsor Features & Charts

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

New and Revamped Sponsor Features & Charts

Post by mpowell »

We’ve got exciting news for all our amazing Criticker sponsors: a total redesign of the Features page, and a couple awesome new charts to check out!

Previously, for some reason, we had decided it was a good idea to cram the actual content into the sidebar, while placing the menu within the larger main section. That obviously makes no sense, and it’s been corrected, giving your features much more room to breathe.

We’ve also updated the style and navigation of this entire section of the site. Now, from whatever page you’re on, be it your Most Contentious Ratings, or the Average Rating by Genre, you can easily navigate to any other special feature or chart -- the sidebars are always there, and the options have been made much more readable.

And we’ve also introduced a couple long-wished for new charts: Average Rating by Country and Number of Ratings by Country. What country produces the films you love most? The answer is now just a click away ... you might be surprised!

What’s that I hear you saying? “Gosh, there’s never been a better time to become a sponsor”...? You’re right!

If you haven’t considered sponsoring Criticker before, please think about it now! We continue to be a fully independent site, without any type of funding, venture capital money, or corporate backing -- and since most of our web-savvy audience knows how to block ads, Criticker is only able to survive thanks to the users who choose to unlock the full version of the site.

As is always the case with a big new rollout, we expect there to be some mistakes, so please let us know if you spot any errors or room for improvement. Or if you have other ideas for great features or statistics which we might add to the offering for sponsors, we’d love to hear them.

And thank you to all our users, regardless of whether you’re a sponsor or not… you all make this site what it is. We enjoy working on Criticker so much, and hope to continue for years to come.

djross
5318 Ratings

Re: New and Revamped Sponsor Features & Charts

Post by djross »

Thanks as always for your commitment to working continuously to improve the site while also always being very mindful to prioritise usability and functionality over razzle dazzle. I thought I'd very briefly give you my thoughts about each of the sponsor-only features. Of course, these are just my own opinions.

Prediction Accuracy: it's quite nice to see where the greatest divergences are between scores and predictions.

Reverse TCIs: again, quite nice to know for whom one appears high up in their TCI list.

Most Contentious Ratings: kind of a variation on the Prediction Accuracy, based on percentiles rather than PSI, gives an idea of the difference from the (highly informed and thoughtful) Criticker crowd.

Concurrent Users: this has always been opaque to me. I don't know how it is generated and I don't understand what the percentage indicates. It doesn't seem to tell me anything very meaningful, although it's hard to be sure given that I don't really understand it.

Missing Films: kind of makes sense, but given that it's based on the Concurrent Users info (see above), it isn't of much interest.

Average Score By Country: in theory, interesting; in practice, the country designations are too often meaningless (no doubt because this information is too often meaningless on IMDb). Admittedly, there is a fundamental difficulty involved, in the sense that "country" is really taken to mean something about where the money comes from, which really has nothing to do with anyone's idea about the question, "what country is this film from?". Unless maybe they are an accountant.

Number of Ratings By Country: see above.

Average Score By Genre: the fact that films have multiple genres, and that "drama" is a default genre for so many films, and that genre inclusion is rather too broad (again, a problem coming from IMDb), makes this of very limited interest.

Number of Ratings By Genre: see above.

Genre Breakdown: see above, but even more so, since the charts seem designed around the idea that each film only has one genre, even though of course that isn't true.

Score Distribution: interesting to see.

Ratings By Year: maybe this should have the name changed to Number of Ratings By Year, to match the equivalent "Country" and "Genre" charts, and to make it clearer what the content is.

Average Rating By Year: interesting to see.

Top 100s: limited interest for me (and this information can be obtained by filtering the database anyway).

90sCoffee
2242 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

It costs ~$20 USD/year to become a pro member at Letterboxd and more for a Patreon but Pro gives you most of the important features......it costs $60 USD on Criticker....

I'm not sure of this discrepancy. $60 USD doesn't seem like much until you consider that a lot of Criticker users are based in other countries like Turkey where $60 USD is over 500 in their currency.

DSouza_Vasco
2140 Ratings

Post by DSouza_Vasco »

I already tried many times to become a sponsor, but all the alternatives of payment never work for me =/ Maybe a bug? I dont know...

Ramy
1485 Ratings

Post by Ramy »

Not working for me either. Entered my credit card info, then entered the code I received by text message, but I haven't become a sponsor yet. It was about 20 minutes ago.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

DSouza_Vasco and ramynoodle -- could you try again? I've resynced your accounts in our Payment Gateway.

This has happened a few times in the past, and probably has a programmatic fix, which we'll try and look into soon.

Ramy
1485 Ratings

Post by Ramy »

It works now. Thank you.

DSouza_Vasco
2140 Ratings

Post by DSouza_Vasco »

Still not working

I tried international credit card and paypal =(

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Hey there Dsouza_Vasco -- I've tried resetting your user again. If it doesn't work this time, we'll have to dig in, in a bit more detail!

Sorry about this issue! We don't want to make supporting the site a difficult thing to do!

DSouza_Vasco
2140 Ratings

Post by DSouza_Vasco »

mpowell wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:35 am
Hey there Dsouza_Vasco -- I've tried resetting your user again. If it doesn't work this time, we'll have to dig in, in a bit more detail!

Sorry about this issue! We don't want to make supporting the site a difficult thing to do!
It worked!
thanks for the help!