Are Hollywood Movies Dead?

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
SpikyCactus
945 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Are Hollywood Movies Dead?

Post by SpikyCactus »

My view is that Hollywood movies haven't especially deteriorated, it's just that more people are discovering that films from other countries can be great too. This means there's more competition for Hollywood in terms of the numbers of films that people can choose from to watch, their variety and quality, as well as for making comparisons too.

It's noticeable that some of the streaming services have discovered stuff from elsewhere can be a big hit for them, which is exposing more people to this sort of content and 'normalising' the idea; I think watching 'foreign stuff', dubbed or subtitled, has been a barrier for many, but now people can easily try some via streaming without additional cost.

If it sometimes feels that Hollywood focuses on big blockbusters, then that's because they know they'll probably make money from them and few other places can compete on those terms, with respect to budgets, special effects, or sheer numbers of films. It's Hollywood's unique selling point.
Last edited by SpikyCactus on Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

SpikyCactus wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:01 pm
My view is that Hollywood movies haven't especially deteriorated, it's just that more people are discovering that films from other countries can be great too.
A bold theory, except that it doesn't apply to either me (and I imagine) the vast majority of people on this forum, who all watch lots of foreign films. Also, I still love watching older Hollywood movies as much as ever. Hell, I even think the 2000s were one of the best decades in film history.

As for foreign movies, they've deteriorated plenty, too. Just compare French cinema now versus the French new wave.
It's noticeable that some of the streaming services have discovered stuff from elsewhere can be a bit hit for them, which is exposing more people to this sort of content and 'normalising' the idea;
Again, a bold theory, but utterly wrong. I've had a Netflix subscription since 2001 all the way until the present day.

Their selection of foreign films used to be many, MANY times larger than it is now, whether during the DVDs in the mail era or when they began streaming. Even compared to a few years ago, Netflix offers far fewer foreign films now. It's been steadily shrinking as they jettison any and all content they don't own.
If it sometimes feels that Hollywood focuses on big blockbusters, then that's because they know they'll probably make money from them and few other places can compete on those terms, with respect to budgets, special effects, or sheer numbers of films. It's Hollywood's unique selling point.
I wonder what Hollywood's unique selling point was from the 1910's all the way to the mid 1970's, when the "blockbuster" as you're using it literally didn't exist?

Instinct888
763 Ratings

Post by Instinct888 »

Yeah I think it's a lot harder to find good movies than it was. There's a massive and growing sea of content of movies and shows not including youtube and dare I say Tiktok. Marvel, and modern Disney in general really, sets the bar very low. Good movies are definitely out there though they're just not as popular.

killgazmo
1005 Ratings

Post by killgazmo »

I find it hilarious how so many people just desperately jump for a safe cosey "nooo noooo its not bad judgmental things its nice things im gonna make up right now on the spot" answers whenever any biting criticism of any subject comes up that is not an accepted socially acceptable target.
Such a cowards way out. lol.
"nooo nooooo the right answer is the one with puppies and the prince and princess ride the carriage into the sunset because nice feels make me feelz good".

paulofilmo
2428 Ratings

Post by paulofilmo »

paulofilmo wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:41 pm
what happened to Nicolas Winding Refn?
completely forgot about too old to die young