Accessing collections from user pages

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
djross
5318 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Accessing collections from user pages

Post by djross »

It would be nice if, when I go to my own profile page, or to another user's profile page, there are drop-down menus or whatever that make it possible for me to see a list of the collections started/moderated by that user, both public and private (and in the case of my own profile page, hidden). Currently there is no easy way to see what collections are started/moderated by another user. A feature such as I've described would give another reason for visiting the profiles of other users, and would also encourage users to see collections as a bit more like lists: easily accessed by other users who may be interested in their favourite movies, or whatever other categorisations they use as a basis for collections. In other words, it would encourage the social aspect of the website, and encourage use of the collections feature with a bit more social intent.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Accessing collections from user pages

Post by mpowell »

That's a great idea, and one that seems easy enough to implement in the space we already have on the User Overview page. Thanks so much for the suggestion, adding this one to our list!

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

djross wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 3:50 am
A feature such as I've described would give another reason for visiting the profiles of other users, and would also encourage users to see collections as a bit more like lists: easily accessed by other users who may be interested in their favourite movies, or whatever other categorisations they use as a basis for collections. In other words, it would encourage the social aspect of the website, and encourage use of the collections feature with a bit more social intent.
I'm curious what others think about the prospect of seeing which users have starred your collections, in the same way you're notified of users starring your reviews. This seems like it could also encourage sociability on the site.

Of course, starring a collection is not quite the same thing as starring a review. I star collections mainly as a form of bookmarking, to more easily add titles in the future. So I might suggest using different language with the notification. While there are some collections I do "love", that does not accurately describe my relationship with most of them.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

iconogassed wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:41 am
I'm curious what others think about the prospect of seeing which users have starred your collections, in the same way you're notified of users starring your reviews. This seems like it could also encourage sociability on the site.
My initial reaction was that knowing who gives stars to a collection wouldn't make much difference to anything. But on second thought, I think that if it was combined with my suggestion of being able to access my own or another user's collections directly from my or their profile page, then perhaps it could foster a sense that there's something social at stake in such knowledge.

iconogassed
7281 Ratings

Post by iconogassed »

I also understand if some users wouldn't necessarily want their collection-starring visible. While the only other person who'd be seeing it is the moderator of the collection, I think it's reasonable for User A to be not-totally-comfortable with User B getting a notification that says, for instance, "[User A] loved/liked/starred your collection Necrophilia!" Anything that would lead to a decrease in collection stars probably wouldn't be advisable. They are so star-starved as it is.

(As the moderator of the Necrophilia collection, I welcome all stars and solemnly pledge not to be weird about it. And I apologize for already being weird about it.)

I have also long considered (as I'm sure others have) the possibility of seeing which users have starred ALL reviews and collections. This would surely invigorate the "social" aspect of the site, though perhaps in a manner too similar to "social" media (especially if that meant additions to the "Kumpel activity" feed telling you who liked what mini-review/collection). I can see arguments on both sides as to whether this would be likelier to lead to an increase or a decrease in starring.