Do you know movies similar to "It follows" ?

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Do you know movies similar to "It follows" ?

Post by livelove »

Do you know any other horror/thriller movie similar to It Follows (2015) featuring a slow-walking, constantly stalking entity ?

EDIT to clarify:
I'm looking for the concept of a slow but unfailing homing missile.

Last edited by livelove on Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:29 pm, edited 11 times in total.

amazedemon
3526 Ratings

Re: A movie similar to "It follows" ?

Post by amazedemon »

Spring (2014)

Think Before Sunrise meets It Follows.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Many thanks! That sounds very interesting. I'm glad you led me to this movie. I'll watch it immediately.

Anything else a little closer to the plot of "It follows" ?
It's such a great concept, that I'm a little surprised if there were just this one single movie depicting it
(as opposed to the myriad of zombie flicks for example).

hotsake
20330 Ratings

Post by hotsake »

It Stains the Sands Red 2016 is a little similar to this concept

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

amazedemon wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:00 pm
Spring (2014)
Just watched it. Spring is like a mix between Before Sunrise, Man from Earth and The Untamed.

Thanks for the recommendation, but although it's an interesting film, I feel a little disappointed, because it is nothing at all like "It follows". I don't see any resemblance whatsoever. In particular, there is no "slow-walking, constantly stalking entity".

livelove
67 Ratings

Re: Do you know movies similar to "It follows" ?

Post by livelove »

Any other films ?

julesfmb
6152 Ratings

Post by julesfmb »

Ringu? The Thing? Halloween? Maybe if you specify what do you mean by "similar". Similar in style? In concept? In "feel"? Anyway, if you could give a few more details...

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

@julesfmb: thank you for pointing out, that my posting needs clarification.

Yes, mainly "similar in concept", that is a slow but unfailing guided missile.
The sheer terror that something is slowly, but constantly approaching you wherever you go.

To be sure, there are many films with fast-moving approaching threats but they don't always know the victim's current location. And I find the slow-moving approaching threat particularly menacing in its own way.

Yes, some zombie films come to mind, but whenever the victim is out of sight/earshot, the danger is averted. Not so in this film.

Given the incredible amount of zombie films, I was hoping to find at least one other similar movie, but the concept seems pretty unique and elusive so far ... (I have not yet gotten around to the recommended "It Stains the Sands Red").

If there is no other similar film in concept, then yes, by default I'd be also interested in films "similar in feel". For instance, I've been watching Don't breathe thinking that the blind man chasing those kids through his house might have a similar feeling. Well, it does, kind of ... but it is still vastly different, as the blind man mostly doesn't know where his target is (except when he occasionally hears a sound).

amazedemon
3526 Ratings

Post by amazedemon »

livelove wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:15 am
amazedemon wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 8:00 pm
Spring (2014)
Just watched it. Spring is like a mix between Before Sunrise, Man from Earth and The Untamed.

Thanks for the recommendation, but although it's an interesting film, I feel a little disappointed, because it is nothing at all like "It follows". I don't see any resemblance whatsoever. In particular, there is no "slow-walking, constantly stalking entity".
Sorry, it's been a while since I've seen either film, though it's more "slow-walking, constantly talking entity".

You could give tastedive a try.

uvlalid
1338 Ratings

Post by uvlalid »

Not exactly "slow-walking, constantly stalking entity", but here are some films that feature something similar:
  • Rubber - A fast-rolling, constantly stalking wheel.
  • Don't Breathe - A medium-speed, constantly stalking, blind old man.
  • In Fabric - A medium-speed-flying, constantly stalking dress.
  • Zygote - A slow-crawling, constantly stalking mass of flesh and assorted body parts.
I didn't like any of them as much as "It Follows" though.

Oh, there's also the Alien and Predator franchises which feature fast-running, constantly stalking aliens; The Descent which features fast-crawling, constantly stalking falmer; and Us which features medium-speed, constantly stalking doppelgängers.