Why does a film's PSI not match my rating?

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
taurus1982
853 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Why does a film's PSI not match my rating?

Post by taurus1982 »

I apologize if this has been answered elsewhere, I did search the forums.

When I browse films via PSI, films that I've seen before are highlighted...so far, so good. But the PSI values for these films do not match my actual ratings. Indeed, in many cases they're *very* far off; for example, some films will show a PSI of 100(!) even though my actual rating is 20 (which is 8th percentile for me).

I'm impressed that criticker can often make a decent prediction of the rating I'll give a movie, but I don't understand why it would still show a PSI for a movie I've *already seen*. This makes no sense to me.

If PSI generation via TCI analysis cannot always closely match the user's ratings (even when that user has given hundreds of ratings), I understand that; but what I don't understand is why criticker would still *show* these PSIs as if I haven't already seen the film.

Couldn't we simply be shown *our* rating instead of the PSI? This seems like it would be simple enough to do. Or maybe even allow us to filter out these results?

BadCosmonaut
4401 Ratings

Re: Why does a film's PSI not match my rating?

Post by BadCosmonaut »

taurus1982 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:14 pm
...but what I don't understand is why criticker would still *show* these PSIs as if I haven't already seen the film.

Couldn't we simply be shown *our* rating instead of the PSI? This seems like it would be simple enough to do. Or maybe even allow us to filter out these results?
Can you show a screenshot of where you're seeing this? If I look on a page for a movie I've seen, like Miami Vice, it shows my rating rather than the PSI. It says: "Your Score: " along with the number I rated it. I can still see the PSI near the bottom of the page, but the sentence that says it isn't prominent... "Your PSI was 3 - See why"

The "full database" pages also show my rating for movies I've seen. Those entries are highlighted blue and there is a square around the rating.

Victoriouz
11563 Ratings

Post by Victoriouz »

BadCosmonaut wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:24 am
taurus1982 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:14 pm
...but what I don't understand is why criticker would still *show* these PSIs as if I haven't already seen the film.

Can you show a screenshot of where you're seeing this? If I look on a page for a movie I've seen, like Miami Vice, it shows my rating rather than the PSI. It says: "Your Score: " along with the number I rated it. I can still see the PSI near the bottom of the page, but the sentence that says it isn't prominent... "Your PSI was 3 - See why"

The "full database" pages also show my rating for movies I've seen. Those entries are highlighted blue and there is a square around the rating.
They're referring to the Full Database when sorted by PSI with the "Only Unrated" filter unchecked

For example, one of my top PSI for tv shows include Big Little Lies as 100/100, although I rated it as only 61/100. So OP was suggesting that it should be ranked among the other titles on the 60s PSI range instead of appearing so high up on the list. (and as kritikos mentioned, the titles we rated can be filtered out already)

(I just selected the tv show filter for the screenshot because I have more titles w/ high PSI I already rated, but it would be the same concept if viewing just the films)

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

i understand the complaint, it would be useful to be able to see your ratings in relation to the PSIs. personally i think you should be able to toggle between either way though, as sometimes i do like to see the PSIs for films i've rated. it's probably the easiest way of picking out films i need to rewatch, for one thing, and it's just interesting to see how close it is to my actual favourites.

but yes, if filtering out the films you've seen is an acceptable solution for you, there's already a tickbox for that in the 'order by' tab.

taurus1982
853 Ratings

Post by taurus1982 »

Thank you for the answer and for understanding my complaint. Maybe this would be better as a feature request then. It would make more sense to me IMO if we were able to view the full database *with* movies we've already seen but with *our* actual rating instead of the PSI.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

AFlickering wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:44 am
i understand the complaint, it would be useful to be able to see your ratings in relation to the PSIs. personally i think you should be able to toggle between either way though, as sometimes i do like to see the PSIs for films i've rated. it's probably the easiest way of picking out films i need to rewatch, for one thing, and it's just interesting to see how close it is to my actual favourites.
good idea!

taurus1982 wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 3:17 pm
Maybe this would be better as a feature request then.
yes