Sight and Sound poll (2022 edition)

Introduce yourself to the community or chat with other users about whatever is on your mind
AFlickering
2994 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Sight and Sound poll (2022 edition)

Post by AFlickering »

a space for this dead ass forum to celebrate/commiserate the new list. if only shogunrua was still here, i’m sure he’s a huge fan.

https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/ ... s-all-time

schnofel
6492 Ratings

Re: Sight and Sound poll (2022 edition)

Post by schnofel »

I have so far passionately hated the feminist studies mainstay Jeanne Dielman (will give it another shot soon enough), so my immediate reaction to the list was: politicized/woke/cinema dead as popular art. But it is a representation of the critical/political Zeitgeist, and as such something to contend with - if one has the will. Having now seen 98% of the list, I find it more fruitful to just go back to the cinema I love.

And I prefer the director’s list:
https://www.bfi.org.uk/sight-and-sound/ ... s-all-time

Paxton
3631 Ratings

Post by Paxton »

Call me when they finally start acknowledging Renny Harlin.

BeeDub
3136 Ratings

Post by BeeDub »

I sense a lot of confused and upset YouTube reaction videos of Jeanne Dielman in the near future.

But seriously, this ranking is going to do neither that movie nor the Sight & Sound poll itself any favors. It's only going to confirm in the general public's minds what they already suspect: that professional moviemakers and critics are completely out of touch with what most people like to watch, and are easily swayed by the progressive causes of the day.
Last edited by BeeDub on Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFlickering
2994 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

i find the inclusion of the likes of GET OUT, MOONLIGHT and PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE very silly and, actually, the idea that these films are the pinnacle of black/gay cinema is extremely straight 'n white to me--almost more insulting than sticking with 100% dead white men. i wish the selections from those minority groups were more in line with the female representation, which i'm actually very happy with. i think *for the most part* they reflect actual knowledge and deep exploration rather than just being token agenda-driven flavour of the month stuff. absolutely lovely to see something like WANDA in the top 50. JEANNE DIELMAN at #1 is bold, but the right kind of bold in my opinion, regardless of my personal feelings on the film.

JakeAesthete
4206 Ratings

Post by JakeAesthete »

BeeDub wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:58 pm
professional moviemakers and critics are completely out of touch with what most people like to watch
But is the alternative that every list should look exactly like the IMDb Top 250? Or a list of nothing but Star Wars and Marvel movies, because that's what "most people like to watch" (AKA what they're sold whether they like it or not).

Trust me, guys, I find the obligatory wokification of the list as eye-rollingly banal as you do, but pinning that on Chantal Akerman just makes you look like philistines (and I say this as someone who tends to only like the "wrong" Akerman films i.e. Night and Day and Tomorrow We Move). Of course, I've never been a Vertigo fan either so what do I know?

If anything, I'm waiting for the "Why Jeanne Dielman is Problematic" think piece.
Last edited by JakeAesthete on Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JakeAesthete
4206 Ratings

Post by JakeAesthete »

Hitler: A Film from Germany is exactly the sort of film I'd love to see included on the S&S list, but they'd never go anywhere near Syberberg these days.

djross
5318 Ratings

Post by djross »

x
Last edited by djross on Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CosmicMonkey
1271 Ratings

Post by CosmicMonkey »

AFlickering wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:08 pm
i find the inclusion of the likes of GET OUT, MOONLIGHT and PORTRAIT OF A LADY ON FIRE very silly and, actually, the idea that these films are the pinnacle of black/gay cinema is extremely straight 'n white to me--almost more insulting than sticking with 100% dead white men. i wish the selections from those minority groups were more in line with the female representation, which i'm actually very happy with. i think *for the most part* they reflect actual knowledge and deep exploration rather than just being token agenda-driven flavour of the month stuff. absolutely lovely to see something like WANDA in the top 50. JEANNE DIELMAN at #1 is bold, but the right kind of bold in my opinion, regardless of my personal feelings on the film.
Yeah, queer person here, and I can kind of get behind this. I always felt like Moonlight was more beloved by straight folks than it was by the actual queer community, and I never quite understood the overwhelming praise it recieved. It's... pretty good, but it's not even Barry Jenkins's best film.

If there was an actual poll of queer film critics, we'd probably see stuff like... i dunno Paris is Burning or Tongues Untied in the top 100 instead.