Return To: Board Index | Movie-Specific

To the people who actually rate out of 100

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Spunkie
4653 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: To the people who actually rate out of 100

Postby Spunkie » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:31 pm

movieboy wrote:
Sometimes I wish, I had ranked my movies with just 10 distinct ratings - that would have generated a Tier which was more according how I liked the movie, rather tha

That wouldn't cut it in your case. If you had been scoring out of 10, you would have 5-6 tiers scored as 6 or 7.

Ununnilium
1002 Ratings

Postby Ununnilium » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:15 am

blucthulhu wrote:I don't agree; this method just creates 11 ratings (4.0 - 5.0) to choose from instead of 2! Using this logic, wouldn't it be even more beneficial to further extend the scale by introducing decimals to the hundreth place? You know, for those occasions when it's impossible to discern between 4.10 and 4.11?

To each their own, but I just feel that at a certain point the range becomes far too broad and all you end up doing is splitting hairs.

Well, yeah, at a certain point - but the point's different for everyone. Which, I think, is the point of this thread.

ShogunRua
2687 Ratings

Postby ShogunRua » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 am

blucthulhu wrote:
PeaceAnarchy wrote:
blucthulhu wrote:Too much effort for a guy who at times struggles over whether a mediocre film deserves a five or a four.

No, it makes it easier. If you're struggling between a 5 or a 4 then it's a 4.5 Think that's a little high, leaning a bit more towards the 4, then 4.4 or 4.3.

I don't agree; this method just creates 11 ratings (4.0 - 5.0) to choose from instead of 2! Using this logic, wouldn't it be even more beneficial to further extend the scale by introducing decimals to the hundreth place? You know, for those occasions when it's impossible to discern between 4.10 and 4.11?

Yes, it's always more beneficial to further extend the scale, in terms of being a more descriptive barometer of one's opinion. Rating one film a 50 and another a 54 out of 100 confers more information about one's tastes than rating both 5 out of 10.

If you feel like it's too much choice, just rate by multiples of 10 on the 0-100 scale, and you have essentially converted it to a 0-10 scale.

Anonymous
Ratings

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:18 am

Last edited by Guest on Thu May 10, 2012 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShogunRua
2687 Ratings

Postby ShogunRua » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:35 pm

blucthulhu wrote:
ShogunRua wrote: If you feel like it's too much choice, just rate by multiples of 10 on the 0-100 scale, and you have essentially converted it to a 0-10 scale.

Which is exactly what I do. (Refer to my first comment in this thread)

Mind, I'm not condemning anyone that uses a broader range to rate movies than I do; that would be silly. Just adding my two cents to the discussion.

Yes, and I'm pointing that mathematically, a 100 point scale is always better than a 10 point scale, because it includes the 10 point scale, but also allows a more detailed signal of preference.

This isn't an opinion; it's a mathematical fact. Your posts in this topic seem to miss this, though.

Anonymous
Ratings

Postby Anonymous » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:23 pm

Last edited by Guest on Thu May 10, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShogunRua
2687 Ratings

Postby ShogunRua » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:37 pm

blucthulhu wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:
Yes, and I'm pointing that mathematically, a 100 point scale is always better than a 10 point scale, because it includes the 10 point scale, but also allows a more detailed signal of preference.

This isn't an opinion; it's a mathematical fact. Your posts in this topic seem to miss this, though.

Apparently you need to be taught the definition of opinion.

I stated my opinion that I prefer to use a scale of 1-10 to rate movies. Never once did I say that such a scale was better or worse than a scale of 100. Not once. Really, go back and read again, this time without the preconception that my difference of opinion invalidates yours. Good God, so much butthurt over something so trivial.

Heh, you seem to be the one with his panties in a twist. I'm just pointing out that your "opinion" makes about as much sense as the "opinion" of preferring $5 over $10.

It's loony; the 100 points scale is strictly better than the 10 point scale, since it encapsulates and includes the former. A 10 point scale can be implemented on 100 points with no appreciable difference (just multiply everything by 10), but not vice versa.

Now, you can make a dozen more whiny posts defending your lack of reading and counting comprehension through "opinion!", but using simple math, the 100 point scale is preferable.

movieboy
1040 Ratings

Postby movieboy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:56 pm

ShogunRua wrote:Yes, and I'm pointing that mathematically, a 100 point scale is always better than a 10 point scale, because it includes the 10 point scale, but also allows a more detailed signal of preference.

In isolation, this is true. But in the current case, I am not sure it's so cut & dry.
In criticker there are 2 things - the rating scale & tiers they fall into.

If it was a 100 point scale accompanied by 100 tiers - it would always be better than a 10 point scale with 10 tiers.

However, it's a little fuzzy here.

GFoster
449 Ratings

Postby GFoster » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 am

Late to the party, but as someone who uses the 100-point scale hopefully I can be of some help. The way I use it is as a conversion from letter grades, which is the scale that I used previously. There are 13 letter grades, and since I just employed the two outermost grades to denote “flawless” and “irredeemable” (A+ and F, respectively), they only needed one point each (100 and 0, respectively), leaving the remaining 99 points to be divided evenly among the 11 remaining letter grades.

So, each letter grade gets its own range of nine points (excepting A+ and F), and they mean the following:
A+: Flawless (100)
A: Masterpiece (91-99)
A−: Highly recommended (82-90)
B+: Must see (73-81)
B: Solidly recommended (64-72)
B−: Reservedly recommended (55-63)
C+: Take it or leave it (46-54)
C: Pass (37-45)
C−: Avoid (28-36)
D+: Must avoid (19-27)
D: Disaster (10-18)
D−: Atrocity (1-9)
F: Irredeemable (0)

Within each range, it’s pretty much intuitive. When you use the scale for long enough, you know what a middling B is, what a weak C+ is, what a strong A− is, etc. An easy way to think about it when you first start using the scale is to, after assigning a letter grade, ask yourself how “close” the movie is to being bumped up or down a grade. E.g., let’s use the 62 vs. 63 distinction someone mentioned in this discussion earlier. If I’m between those two ratings, I’ve given the movie a B− (i.e., decent but flawed), but in my mind I know it’s really almost a B. So, I would ask myself: Is this movie “pretty close” to being a B (62) or “very close” to being a B (63)?

My advice is to just let it be a gut thing and not to agonize over it. Try to assign a rating shortly after watching the movie so that you don’t go mad trying to recall what precisely you thought of it a week later. Most of all, keep in mind that this scale really only works as an indicator of your own enthusiasm; trying to factor in “objective merits” (whatever constitutes those) will always be a somewhat disingenuous endeavor. Think of it as advising your former self on whether to see the movie you just watched. How much will you, personally, get out of it? The /100 numerical is just a shorthand for your own admiration and/or enjoyment. Hope that helps.

dookobore
6019 Ratings

Postby dookobore » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:50 pm

How can "Must see" be a weaker recommendation than "Highly recommended [to see]"?

Return to “Movie-Specific”