Return To: Board Index | Feature Requests

New Changes at Criticker

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Moribunny
4730 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: New Changes at Criticker

Postby Moribunny » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:19 pm

mpowell wrote:
addeh wrote:Any chance of re-adding the average score display to actors/directors etc. pages?

Thanks for pointing this out! We've now made it so that if you hover over the percentile value, you'll see your average score.

Not sure I like this change. I had been using my average ratings all the time, and almost ignoring the average tier, so I would have been more comfortable with the tier hidden than vice versa.

The tier system is only marginally useful to me, because it ignores the actual value that I place on movies that I watch. My ratings aren't a straight line, they're a bell-curve; because fantastic movies are rare, and terrible movies I avoid. So most of the films I watch are average.

Over a decade ago, I remember asking for a tier system (perhaps, an optional, alternative tier system) that is calculated based on the absolute numbers assigned when rating films, rather than a relativization divided into 10 equal parts. Shortly after, the custom quips/colors were introduced. But those are just aesthetic, and if I use them, I sort of "lie to myself" about how my TCI's are being calculated, so I never use them. Tiers would be useful to me if they actually reflected my bell-curve-shaped taste in movies.

In lieu of that, the actual numbers assigned (and their averages) are still the best tool I have to understand my film ratings, so I lament having those averages hidden.

Maaxwell
1875 Ratings

Postby Maaxwell » Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:50 am

It's also no longer indicating that a submitted film is in preview mode on an individual's page.

mpowell
1136 Ratings

Postby mpowell » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Moribunny wrote:Not sure I like this change. I had been using my average ratings all the time, and almost ignoring the average tier, so I would have been more comfortable with the tier hidden than vice versa.

We agree it would be better the other way around -- and have just switched it!

Moribunny
4730 Ratings

Postby Moribunny » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:00 am

mpowell wrote:
Moribunny wrote:Not sure I like this change. I had been using my average ratings all the time, and almost ignoring the average tier, so I would have been more comfortable with the tier hidden than vice versa.

We agree it would be better the other way around -- and have just switched it!

Awesome! Thank you!

Daisoujou
830 Ratings

Postby Daisoujou » Wed Jun 27, 2018 7:32 pm

Every time I click to load page 2 of a list it stops being whatever list it previously was (eg remembered films) and redirects to the list of every film on this website.

dookobore
5860 Ratings

Postby dookobore » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 pm

Since the update, I've noticed that when you filter by "Your Scores" in a collection, the default is now to sort alphabetically by title rather than by descending score. Very minor matter, but the latter makes more sense to me.

dookobore
5860 Ratings

Postby dookobore » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:57 am

I'm also unable to sort by "Date Ranked" in collections

mpowell
1136 Ratings

Postby mpowell » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:05 am

Thanks for reporting these problems, guys, we hope to have them all fixed up soon.

movieboy
1018 Ratings

Postby movieboy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:26 am

The older design of the people pages was so much more pleasant looking than the new one.
The boxes & lines neatly separated the different movies. Please bring that back.

I have pasted a screenshot here comparing the two.

BadCosmonaut
2837 Ratings

Postby BadCosmonaut » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:49 am

I agree with movieboy. I knew something was different about that page, but wasn't sure what it was. It was easier to parse info and more pleasant to look at under the old way.

Return to “Feature Requests”