Return To: Board Index | Movie-Specific

Joker

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2154 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Joker

Postby Stewball » Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:39 am

This takes "dark" to an extreme, without any touches of dark comedy, making it exceptionally creepy, like the scene with him bathing his mother. :? The first third is pretty one-dimensional until the other early characters from Batman start appearing; making this the reality or history behind the canonical myths and legends in the Batman comics and Dark Knight movies. It's hard to compare Phoenix's performance with Heath Ledger's. They're both powerful, but I can almost hear Ledger's version asking Phoenix, "why so serioussssa?"
Excellent use of music and to a certain extent, dance. My favorite scene, is his routine on the stairs (see poster) to Gary Glitter's "Rock & Roll Pt. 2"--well, that and an honorable mention for De Niro's last scene. 8-)

kgbelliveau
1125 Ratings

Re: Joker

Postby kgbelliveau » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:50 pm

It most definitely one of the most uncomfortable viewing experiences. It was an extreme look into a fractured mind that didn't get enough help. I can't honestly see anyone aside from Phoenix in this role and I am not sure that's a testament to this performance or the his own signs of diving too deep into his roles for the sake of art.

One hell of a film, not sure I even fully understand how I truly feel about it

TheSean
1148 Ratings

Postby TheSean » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:12 pm

Mentaculus
3081 Ratings

Postby Mentaculus » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:13 pm

Return to “Movie-Specific”