login | register
0 rankings
more

SinnerMa

Movie Buff - 237 Rankings

Member Since: Oct 5, 2016

more Recent Rankings
75 T5 A High Wind in Jamaica (1965) - May 19, 2017
"Set design 10/10 & well acted but somehow just doesn't quite engage. Perhaps Quin & Coburn are usually such "good people" that you don't feel the children are in real peril - also the time & country that it it was made in seems, in the back of the mind, to preclude the possibility of a truly nasty movie & so takes away any edginess. "hilarious"? well, no. "Rollicking", no - it is in no way a swashbuckler. Watchable? Certainly, but for this viewer, there is an indefinable something missing here."
75 T5 The Street Fighter (1974) - May 19, 2017
"Fairly typical older style martial arts V gangsters pic. A bit gorier than some. Sonny Chiba does his best Bruce Lee grimacing a bit too much but Lee was the in-thing at the time. Having said that, it is the onscreen presence of Chiba as the morally questionable hero that elevates this above run of the mill. Basically genre fans only but it is above average in its class."
55 T3 Yaj├╗ shisubeshi (1980) - May 17, 2017
"Well portrayed story of a serial killer who inhabits his own cold & lonely world, the inhabitants of the real world have no significance to him other than as obstacles or opportunities for profit....trouble for this viewer was that it didn't engage. A gripping movie will keep you glued to the screen till the end even if well past snoozetime, you simply can't leave. I left for that snooze midway through. This may not have aged well? NB site tag of "not good" is a bit unfair, "55" is middle ground"
85 T7 Montage (2013) - May 17, 2017
"Well acted and shot chase after a kidnapper plot. The summary above doesn't do this one proper justice...without wishing to give much away, I can only say that the situation is complex. I am very ambivalent about Korean films in general as the quality of mainstream productions can vary so wildly but this one is the gem that you go through the dross to find."
70 T5 George Washington Slept Here (1942) - May 14, 2017
"A somewhat thin old style comedy but entertaining enough especially if you are naturally inclined to movies of this vintage. Not riotous, more quiet chuckles every now and then esp from the secondary characters. The "fixing" of the farmhouse itself is very much off screen. Not close in quality to Mr Blandings..." but OK enough."
80 T6 He Walked by Night (1948) - May 14, 2017
"I'd be more tempted to call this a docudrama than a "movie". A bit uneven as the film does bog down a bit in the hunt for clues in the early stages and the voiceover verges on propaganda. Personally found the operational tools of 1948 were interesting in contrast to "today". The perceived slowness of the first half just may be an intended effect showing the grinding grunt work required to get that breakthrough moment when the criminal is at last ID'd."
85 T7 Bakumatsu taiyoden (1957) - May 11, 2017
"Difficult to rank as the comedy for me, while it has its funny bits, is a bit intermittent. The setting & staging however are 10/10 & it was a great pleasure to "be there". Better thought of as a period/comedy/ drama IMHO. "can't pay his bill" is not quite true & is part of the fun. Once how the bill will be settled is sorted out then it is truly funny as the staff & management ranking is turned about. Note, though setting is a brothel, it's visual PG, perhaps a little explaining for very young."
70 T5 Princess O'Rourke (1943) - May 11, 2017
"Pleasant enough light comedy, dragged down a bit esp near the end by some flag waiving but considering when it was made that would be near obligatory."
70 T5 Sengoku jieitai 1549 (2005) - May 10, 2017
"Same premise as GI Samurai, (1979) starring Sonny Chiba - note though both have same "bones" the stories are different enough that you can pleasurably watch both. Pretty well done time travel film & quite entertaining. There were shaky bits as appear, unfortunately, in most movies to allow the hero's progress & some typical Japanese emoting that can be a bit much for some. Budget was big enough for OK CGI effects & action scenes well done. "70" where that means decent modern action genre."
45 T2 Dead or Alive (1999) - May 10, 2017
"Unlike most, for me, the out of left field ending was the ruination of what went before. "What went before" was an OK, by the numbers, gangster flick somewhat improved by some over the top scenes. Well filmed with excellent action. Score, but for the ending, would have been 65 with "better than average but not riveting" tag. If you are looking for a straight modern yakuza film 99% here will be right up your alley, the remaining 1% will either grab you as WTF brilliance or kill the whole thing."