Chinese Cinema

Share your Criticker Collections with the rest of the community!
Svengali
1540 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Chinese Cinema

Post by Svengali »

http://www.criticker.com/?fl&filter=e31424

Some very interesting stuff coming out of China in the last couple of years, I've tried to add movies from earlier epochs as well so to speak - before they went communist and Mao's years of ruling, and the films during that time of course. Mainly looking to add mainland/Shanghai Chinese films and trying to avoid Hong Kong productions to at least some extent, thus some Wong Kar-Wai stuff isn't there yet and much kung fu cinema.

td888
3959 Ratings

Re: Chinese Cinema

Post by td888 »

I've got quite a soft spot for Chinese cinema. I've seen tons of Chinese movies. Unfortunately a lot of these films don't have an entry on IMDB (yet), so it's impossible to add them to Criticker.

But I'll keep an eye out for your collection.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Svengali wrote:http://www.criticker.com/?fl&filter=e31424

Some very interesting stuff coming out of China in the last couple of years, I've tried to add movies from earlier epochs as well so to speak - before they went communist and Mao's years of ruling, and the films during that time of course. Mainly looking to add mainland/Shanghai Chinese films and trying to avoid Hong Kong productions to at least some extent, thus some Wong Kar-Wai stuff isn't there yet and much kung fu cinema.

I've tried to watch some mainland films, but my conclusion is invariably that they were quite awful, and simply inferior to Hong Kong cinema. Anything in particular you would recommend?

td888 wrote: I've seen tons of Chinese movies. Unfortunately a lot of these films don't have an entry on IMDB (yet), so it's impossible to add them to Criticker.

This is also a problem.

Svengali
1540 Ratings

Post by Svengali »

ShogunRua wrote:I've tried to watch some mainland films, but my conclusion is invariably that they were quite awful, and simply inferior to Hong Kong cinema. Anything in particular you would recommend?

I'm far from the most well-versed man when it comes to it, but for example I recently finished watching the excellent Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks by Wang Bing - a 9h+ documentary about the decline of some of China's industrial complexes during three years. A fantastic feat and extremely impressive.

Another more popular one should be Devils on the Doorstep by Wen Jiang, which depicts wartime in China during the Japanese occupation in the 30s and 40s. Has 140 rankings here an average tier of 8.24.

Then there's of course Jia Zhangke, of whom I've only seen Still Life so far but he seems to have an impressive body of work so far; which seems to be in the more contemplative vein, as much of modern Asian cinema today, it seems.

td888
3959 Ratings

Post by td888 »

ShogunRua wrote:
I've tried to watch some mainland films, but my conclusion is invariably that they were quite awful, and simply inferior to Hong Kong cinema. Anything in particular you would recommend?

It may be not your cup of tea but I was very impressed by Kekexili: Mountain Patrol