Wishlist Tweaks

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
livelove
67 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Wishlist Tweaks

Post by livelove »

Fenius wrote:Hi livelove. Sorry about that. Yes, I deleted my first Forum post because I wasn't sure I was making myself clear. And I deleted my response to your post because
[…]
I wonder, should I delete this from the forum now?

You can only delete the thread's last posting, so if you wanted to delete this entire thread, we (you+me) would have to take turns deleting our postings one after the other. It's your thread, so it's your decision. I don't see the need for a deletion, but if you preferred that, I would not refuse of course. It's up to you.

Fenius wrote:This is no longer a problem for me, now that I know it really is on the Wishlist, but it caused me a lot of confusion until you pointed me in the right direction. Thank you very, very much. I love this site, but this was making me nuts, and now I'm in a position to take full enjoyment again!

If that solves your dilemma, I'm really glad I was able to assist you. I also love the site and I received help from others when I started here, so I'm happy I can give something back in return.

Fenius wrote:According to my 'Moderate Wishlist' page, 12 Angry Men is currently on my Wishlist though Ignored -- which is great -- but I am still seeing 'Add 12 Angry Men to your Criticker Wishlist' at the bottom of the 12 Angry Men page no matter how many times I refresh it, and itdoes not change if I click Add.

That's weird, because I have tried that 2 times (as stated in my replies above) and got different results:
livelove wrote:sorry, but I don't think this is true. I just tried as you said and added a movie to my wishlist and then to the ignored list. Before AND after adding the movie to the ignored list, it says "is on your Criticker Wishlist" at the bottom of the film's page. (The "ignored films banner" is not displayed however, which could be filed as a bug.)

I will try again and post screenshots, ok ?
Last edited by livelove on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Fenius wrote:searching for an App that would show me everything in the IMDBs database […] with the final result that after a few years I'd have been made aware of (and considered) every film in it.

I hope you are aware that not all IMDB films are listed on criticker ?
IMDB has more than 3.5 million titles listed. Even if criticker had them all, you could never in your lifetime read all those descriptions … ;)

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Fenius wrote:when a movie has been added to your wishlist and then ignored, the "Add this film to your criticker wishlist" link appears at the bottom of the film's page again, and continues to read that, despite it actually being on the wishlist

It works differently for me:

Before adding the film to any list:

After adding the film to my wishlist:

After ignoring the film:

I hope you didn't make me do all the screenshot work just to say now, that you actually get the same result … :P

Fenius wrote:According to my 'Moderate Wishlist' page, 12 Angry Men is currently on my Wishlist though Ignored -- which is great -- but I am still seeing 'Add 12 Angry Men to your Criticker Wishlist' at the bottom of the 12 Angry Men page no matter how many times I refresh it, and itdoes not change if I click Add.

Please navigate to Albert (2015) and follow the same steps that I pictured in my screenshots. I highly doubt that you'll get different results than me, but if you do, then please post your screenshots.
Last edited by livelove on Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

Fenius wrote:every time a film I want to see comes up the only way I can tell if I've already wishlisted it or not is to navigate to its page and check to see if it says "Add to Wishlist" or "This title is in your wishlist" at the bottom.

Wishlisted and remembered films don't "come up" in your recommendations
(when you go to explore>recommendations or click on the criticker logo).

They do, however, show up in database view. And I agree, that in database view "the only way I can tell if I've already wishlisted it or not is to navigate to its page and check to see if it says […] "This title is in your wishlist" at the bottom".

May I direct your attention to one of my feature suggestions: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5438
You commented there, so I guess you are aware of my suggestion to highlight remembered/wishlisted/ignored/etc films. This would actually give you another "way you can tell if you've already wishlisted a film", obviating the need of making the detour to the film page to check if it says "This title is in your wishlist" at the bottom.

If that idea were implemented and if you add to that the workaround I showed you in this thread, maybe together you would have a nice working solution for your workflow.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

livelove wrote:
Fenius wrote:and Remembered films continue to show up in recommendations

also untrue.
Remembered and wishlisted films do not show up in recommendations,
as that would obviously defeat its purpose (which is recommending films the user doesn't know yet).

Remembered and wishlisted films do not show up in recommendations,
(when you go to explore>recommendations or click on the criticker logo).

So I'm wondering why you said that "Remembered films show up in recommendations" ?

Fenius
1312 Ratings

Post by Fenius »

That is just bizarre.

I put a film on my wishlist, like so:

Then I click Ignore, it automatically refreshes the page, and it's telling me I have the option to Wishlist it again:

Hence my confusion. However, I have ascertained that the film is still on my Wishlist: I just have to go to the Moderate Wishlist page in order to see it.

So, it's no longer an issue -- it's just strange. I also notice in your screengrab that it's still showing the Ignore link beneath the poster art, where mine now only shows Enable. So I'm at a loss.

Yes, I'm aware that Criticker doesn't contain everything that's in the IMDB, and have submitted a few films to the database myself: I'm content to rate whatever people submit, even if only because Criticker requires poster art and some kind of plot capsule, and the IMDB doesn't. And I'm not really interested in seeing EVERYTHING on the IMDB, which is why the filters on Criticker are such a godsend. One of my favourite features here is the ability to omit results from English language countries, which I don't recall being able to do on the IMDB.

Fenius
1312 Ratings

Post by Fenius »

Actually, comparing them, I see that your screengrabs are different from mine in lacking Facebook links, too. Are you accessing the site on a phone or tablet App, by any chance? I'm using Firefox on a Windows 10 PC.

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

livelove wrote:Please navigate to Albert (2015) and follow the same steps that I pictured in my screenshots. I highly doubt that you'll get different results than me, but if you do, then please post your screenshots.

Could you please follow the same procedure (3 steps) with the same film and with the collection tab selected and change the screenshots above. It's easier to compare when all things are equal.

(My screenshots only look different because I removed the social media elements and reduced the width to fit within the posting width.)

Fenius wrote:it's still showing the Ignore link beneath the poster art, where mine now only shows Enable. So I'm at a loss.

Me too, that's indeed strange.
All the more so, as my screenshots were also made using FF (on XP).

Fenius
1312 Ratings

Post by Fenius »

Here you go

No action taken:

Added to wishlist:

Ignored:

But here's the kicker. Click enable, and suddenly the film is no longer Ignored, but it's also gone from the Wishlist. As I say, not an issue, just something that probably added to my initial confusion:

Not sure why my images are being cropped on the right -- they aren't really like that -- but you get the idea.

Anyway, I'm content that I can now get the site to do what I want. I've just spent quite a bit of time Ignoring everything in my Wishlist...

livelove
67 Ratings

Post by livelove »

wow, can't believe my eyes!
That's pretty weird, I'll give you that.
Sorry for having had doubts, but it was really highly unlikely that the same procedure would yield different results. But here we are.

OK, one last thing. Could you please follow these steps:
    1) open a new tab in Firefox
    2) type "about:config" in the address bar
    3) in the "filter" text field enter: "browser.cache.check_doc_frequency"
    4) what value does this variable have ? it should be 0,1,2 or 3.
    5) if the value is 1, then just close the tab and stop here (you are finished)
    6) if the value is 0, 2 or 3, write it down on a sheet of paper (to remember)
    7) change the value to 1
    8) open another tab
    8) in this tab, repeat our little test above with the Albert movie (no need to take screenshots)
    9) when you are done, go back to the "about:config" tab and change the value back to whatever it was before (check paper)
Now the question is:
Did you get the same results as you got before ?
Or did you get the same results as me, this time ?
In the first case, your browser caching shows you wrong results.
In the second case, I don't really know, but it could be a Criticker bug, for which I will file a bug report.

Fenius wrote:But here's the kicker. Click enable, and suddenly the film is no longer Ignored, but it's also gone from the Wishlist.

wow, you are right, this is a kicker. It also seems like a bug.
I can't even try to reproduce it, as I lack the "enable" link in screenshot 3

Could you please also include this in the test above at step 8 (with browser.cache.check_doc_frequency set to 1) and tell me if you still get the same behaviour ?

Fenius wrote:Not sure why my images are being cropped on the right -- they aren't really like that -- but you get the idea.

That's due to the allowed maximum image width in postings here.
If images are too large in width, they are displayed as cropped.
(They are not really cropped however. If you right-click on the image and click on "view image" you can still see the full uncropped image.)