"Detachment"

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Stewball
2188 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: "Detachment"

Post by Stewball »

DavidJohnson wrote:Yeah I saw it, and I saw it coming. Not the best 20 seconds from the film.

Depends on what you mean by "best" of course, but even though I wondered, and you claimed to know, I say it doesn't matter. Like I say, it's been done 500 (at least) times before, but never with that impact.

Just1n
275 Ratings

Post by Just1n »

Detachment sounds good. Will defo watch it. I worked on a television commercial with Tony Kaye. He is eccentric and comes across as a bit of a c*nt. Very demanding and rude and some of his requests were extreme.

Good director though. American History X was very good.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Just1n wrote:Detachment sounds good. Will defo watch it. I worked on a television commercial with Tony Kaye. He is eccentric and comes across as a bit of a c*nt. Very demanding and rude and some of his requests were extreme.

Good director though. American History X was very good.

For some, like ayall here, the story doesn't stand up to X, and it is completely different. Plus there's the fact that for most of the movie it appears to be a real downer (which I think accentuates what happens). All that combines to hurt it's chances for a successful distribution. For me, it's regrettably just one of those gems that will probably remain in the shadows.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

At the risk of baring the pearls of my soul to the swine who I'm sure will turn and rend me, I feel compelled to say that I can't get this movie off my mind, particularly the last 10 minutes. I'm calling it the best ending to a movie ever. There, I said it and I'm glad. While I realize a lot won't "get it", or think they do and trash it, or just don't have souls themselves, I simply hope some will take notice and appreciate it for what it is. But you gotta commit to watching it all. If I'd have had to quit in the middle, I probably wouldn't have gone back to finish it either. After all this re-consideration, I'm upgrading it to a 10/10--Masterpiece.

As it stands right now, this is the most ignored, much less underrated, of my top rated films. Available on VOD.

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

Stewball wrote: I'm calling it the best ending to a movie ever.

wow, i can't believe you went that far.

i too have been thinking of the ending, and it reminded me of the ending of "You've Got Mail"

Maybe you should check that movie out, you might give it an 11/10.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

ayall wrote:
Stewball wrote: I'm calling it the best ending to a movie ever.

wow, i can't believe you went that far.

i too have been thinking of the ending, and it reminded me of the ending of "You've Got Mail"

Maybe you should check that movie out, you might give it an 11/10.

But that wasn't even a good movie. What can I say, this one speaks to me. And like I've said (somewhere.....here?) that scene's been done probably thousands of times, but.....

I'm mostly just frustrated this movie's received such abysmal marketing.

Anyway, I know when I'm licked and I'll shut up about it now and move on.

Anyone here seen Shuffle?

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

Stewball wrote:Anyway, I know when I'm licked and I'll shut up about it now and move on.

I'm just giving you a hard time. :)

Stewball wrote:
Anyone here seen Shuffle?

haven't, if it's the 2011 flick you're talking about, i don't think Criticker has it in it's database yet.

Not sure if I've commented on this movie before (Déjà vu), but from the IMDB description;
"Lovell Milo suddenly begins to experience his life out of chronological sequence. "
it reminds me of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five - "billy pilgrim has come unstuck in time"

Neat concept - I'll check it out.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Heyo bump, I saw this movie as well and enjoyed the shit out of it. Adrien Brody was doin some shit huh? Tony Kaye ballinnnn

no for real though, I love this movie. Best shit I've seen in (a couple) years. I feel like it was made for me. I've always been in the tank for that whole character interview as voiceover conceit (see: Reds, Leaving Las Vegas, etc.) The score, as well, gives it a lyrical quality that won't let me go; does it ever let up? I can't even remember. It's like Kaye made the movie for the score. And yes, the movie does give one the impression that Oliver Stone's considerable 1990's balls were gradually transferred to Mr. Kaye until they were shrunk to nothing. Fuck subtlety. To the grave. Aint nobody got time for that shit..

GET AT ME

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Bojangles wrote: And yes, the movie does give one the impression that Oliver Stone's considerable 1990's balls were gradually transferred to Mr. Kaye until they were shrunk to nothing. Fuck subtlety. To the grave. Aint nobody got time for that shit..

GET AT ME

:?:

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

What, my drunken ass ramblings don't make sense?