Protection against vandalism controls

Ideas to improve Criticker and new feature requests, as well as announcements about new enhancements.
Skavau
155 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Protection against vandalism controls

Post by Skavau »

At the moment it's too easy to vandalise Criticker, and relies upon random people encountering the movie and reporting it. In my list-making and adding of stuff I've noticed a lot of language vandalism (2 Broke Girls, Big Bang Theory, Mr. Robot and The Knick) stick in my memory where someone just spams every single language slot.

I haven't seen any cast, genre, or country vandalism but on the same basis it is quite conceivable that people could do this.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Re: Protection against vandalism controls

Post by mpowell »

Thanks for this note! We do actually have controls on the back-end to handle this type of thing, making it easy for us to roll-back all changes made by individual, bad-intentioned users. We can also then block them from making further updates. So far that's proven effective, but it seems like some updates might have sneaked through the cracks.

We'll take a look!

Skavau
155 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

Oh yeah, I understand you likely have logs that check for this when reported. I have submitted tickets for the ones with language spam, but I suppose I mean that banning one user doesn't mean someone isn't going to make a new account the next day and do it all-over again.

The big part is the languages, from what I've seen.
Last edited by Skavau on Sat Mar 02, 2024 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victoriouz
11683 Ratings

Post by Victoriouz »

but it seems like some updates might have sneaked through the cracks.
In this case it probably wasn't vandalism; when Criticker added the Language field last year it seems somehow the site staff managed to automatically add every language listed on the titles' IMDB pages to the corresponding Criticker pages;

https://www.criticker.com/forum/viewtop ... 891#p76891

I haven't checked all four examples but TBBT and 2BG only have English listed on Criticker now, but both had a ton of other languages listed on their main imdb pages (like "Hindi Italian Russian Mandarin Klingon" for TBBT even though those obviously aren't the main languages spoken on the show)

I can see Lost currently has 10 languages listed on Criticker (English Spanish French Japanese Latin German Russian Arabic Korean Portuguese - and of those additional ones I would only maybe see an argument for keeping Korean due to the Sun and Jin characters) - but us regular users can only input 8 languages on the editing form (or just 2 on the title submission form), so I really think it was just a case of importing every language listed on IMDB.

Skavau
155 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

Victoriouz wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:15 am
but it seems like some updates might have sneaked through the cracks.
In this case it probably wasn't vandalism; when Criticker added the Language field last year it seems somehow the site staff managed to automatically add every language listed on the titles' IMDB pages to the corresponding Criticker pages;

https://www.criticker.com/forum/viewtop ... 891#p76891

I haven't checked all four examples but TBBT and 2BG only have English listed on Criticker now, but both had a ton of other languages listed on their main imdb pages (like "Hindi Italian Russian Mandarin Klingon" for TBBT even though those obviously aren't the main languages spoken on the show)

I can see Lost currently has 10 languages listed on Criticker (English Spanish French Japanese Latin German Russian Arabic Korean Portuguese - and of those additional ones I would only maybe see an argument for keeping Korean due to the Sun and Jin characters) - but us regular users can only input 8 languages on the editing form (or just 2 on the title submission form), so I really think it was just a case of importing every language listed on IMDB.
Oh, well I take it back if it was a bug. I just assumed someone was being childish.

However, someone could, with ease vandalise that if they wanted to.

Skavau
155 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

It's not just a bug. I've seen an number of titles now with 3 or 4 extra obviously nonsense languages. It's a prime field for user vandalism.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Skavau wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:38 am
Oh yeah, I understand you likely have logs that check for this when reported. I have submitted tickets for the ones with language spam, but I suppose I mean that banning one user doesn't mean someone isn't going to make a new account the next day and do it all-over again.

The big part is the languages, from what I've seen.
Hey there! We've just implemented new back-end fixes that will help us do a better job of tracking who's been adding languages. Details in this post

Skavau
155 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

I still do see occasional mistakes and possible instances of sloppiness or even vandalism in new entries by other people. Or sometimes older entries.

Is it just you who responds to tickets about incorrect countries, languages, genres etc?