13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Suture Self
2710 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

Post by Suture Self »

I always found it weird that the media -- both left and right, but particularly the conservative brand -- focused almost all of their attention on the 4 American deaths in Benghazi rather than the disastrous US intervention in Libya (and the ongoing civil war). Seems like a total distraction to me. When it comes to Clinton and Benghazi, people won't stop talking about it. They can go on forever. Yet when it comes to Clinton and the US intervention in Libya, I never hear a single word. Why is that? Is it because American lives are more important than Libyan lives? That probably has something to do with it. Frankly, I think the focus on Benghazi rather than on Libya as a whole is kind of disgusting. If you claim to be outraged by Clinton's behavior in Libya, please realize a lot more has happened than the attack in Benghazi.

For example, check this out: http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/201 ... ervention/

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

Suture Self wrote:I always found it weird that the media -- both left and right, but particularly the conservative brand -- focused almost all of their attention on the 4 American deaths in Benghazi rather than the disastrous US intervention in Libya (and the ongoing civil war). Seems like a total distraction to me. When it comes to Clinton and Benghazi, people won't stop talking about it. They can go on forever. Yet when it comes to Clinton and the US intervention in Libya, I never hear a single word. Why is that? Is it because American lives are more important than Libyan lives? That probably has something to do with it. Frankly, I think the focus on Benghazi rather than on Libya as a whole is kind of disgusting. If you claim to be outraged by Clinton's behavior in Libya, please realize a lot more has happened than the attack in Benghazi.

For example, check this out: http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/201 ... ervention/

It wasn't generally known that the forces that killed Gaddafi were Al Qaeda or Muslim Brotherhood; it was and is generally considered a good thing when Gadaffi was killed; it's the first I've heard about the African gold standard from the left or right, probably due to lack of hard evidence; but above all, I don't think even Benghazi would have gotten the attention it did if the Ambassador hadn't been killed. with those trying to save him told not to. That leading to email-gate can only be swept under the rug at the cost of one's last twig of integrity. The question should be why hasn't the left been asking all these questions as well.

And Obama was nowhere to be found (read in hiding!!!!!)

TheSean
1220 Ratings

Post by TheSean »

The aftermath bothered me as well.

Hillary Clinton blamed it on a Youtube movie. OK, fine. Let's take it at her word that she genuinely believed that. The Administration then spent thousands of dollars on public service announcements throughout the Middle East - the message was - the US Gov had nothing to do with this movie. She promised the family of one of the deceased that they would 'get' the guy who made the movie. Of course, they ended up getting him on a technicality (parole violation - he used an alias in the credits - big. deal.) and threw him in prison for a year.

Instead of defending free speech, she went into apology mode. As an outsider, a non-American, this seems... unAmerican?
Maybe the PSA, if she did believe the youtube video was the motivating factor, should really have said "we believe in free speech in America. It means people get to say things you don't agree with. Don't like it? Don't click on it. Get over it". Then promising to 'get' this Nakoula Basseley Nakoula dude. If I was a family member of the Benghazi victim, I'd have told her piss off. Concentrate on getting the guys that actually carried out the attack. Not some guy that made a video.

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

So, what, you're blaming the establishment Republicans for being establishment Republicans. Benghazi still happened almost exactly as the movie portrayed it. Hillary and Obama, if nothing else, are guilty of gross negligence, incompetence and dereliction of duty--and the emails showed she lied about it as well as the emails themselves, continuously.

TheSean
1220 Ratings

Post by TheSean »

I wasn't expecting to like this. Not a fan of Micahel Bay. Not really a fan of these kind of films.... but I enjoyed it. Only complaint is that it's a little too long. I'd read and heard so much about the events that took place on the ground (and elsewhere) but it was quite something to see on screen.