Tom Cruise

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
KGB
1335 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Tom Cruise

Post by KGB »

Sure, nobody [that isn't a crazy teen, as most if not all users in Criticker are] cares about Tom Cruise, but am I the only one who thinks he's not that annoying at all? Sure, he isn't the best actor out there, but he isn't... Dakota Fanning or something, you know what I mean (though you probably wish you wouldn't, don't you?).
And here's something risky to say: I believe Tom Cruise's performance in 'Eyes Wide Shut' is an incredible one. One of the best I've ever seen: until the point I saw 'Eyes Wide Shut' (which is awesome, you EWS bashers!), I thought Stanley Kubrick was a genius; after seeing what he can do to Tommy here, he must have been a fucking wizard.

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

He was good in Collateral. That's the only thing he's really impressed me in.r

AFlickering
3010 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

sorry, i hate tom cruise and i hate his face

Grit
799 Ratings

Post by Grit »

It's not that he is a bad actor, just that he is hard to like at times. To me he always comes across as totally arrogant and self-obsessed, even in the roles he plays as well as in real life. Sure, most of Holywood is the same, but he seems to hide the fact less than the vast majority. I've not really seen many of his films, but Collateral is the only one which springs to mind where I actually thought he did a particuarly good job on a character. Even then that might just be because he was the, sorry to sound very generic, "bad guy" of the movie.

Stardog
187 Ratings

Post by Stardog »

Tom Cruise is a good actor. Go see more of his movies.

Try Born on the Fourth of July, Rainman, The Firm, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Jerry Maguire etc etc.

AFlickering
3010 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

still an asshole and a moron, though

vincente
394 Ratings

Post by vincente »

Tom Cruise's performance at Oprah says it all:

video

It's a remastered version, which highlights the... interesting personality of Tom.

coffee
2376 Ratings

Post by coffee »

I don't feel obligated to insult him just because he is a stupid man. He was good at "Eyes Wide Shut" or "Collateral" or some others... He is a good actor but just a good one. One of the hundreds.. he has nothing special to make him a "Dustin Hoffman" or a "Marlon Brando" or.. you know.. one of "the stars".. just a pretty face.

I wanted to add one little thing: I hate him now...
Last edited by coffee on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kain424
1841 Ratings

Post by Kain424 »

There was a time when it seemed that Cruise would go on to be a great actor (A Few Good Men), but he took the route to super-stardom instead. He's done some decent work recently (The Last Samurai comes to mind), but it looks like he may in fact be heading downward again. Hopefully his role as an anti-Hitler Nazi in his next flick earns him some credit.

He's long overdue.

Filligan
1576 Ratings

Post by Filligan »

I don't get all the hate towards Cruise. He was magnificent in Collateral and by the looks of things he's going to continue to make good films with great performances. It seems like everyone liked him until he went on Oprah. Personally, I thought that was awesome, not a reason to hate the guy. I'm no Scientology sympathetic, I rather enjoyed the episode of "Boston Legal" and "South Park" where they blasted the religion, but I don't think Cruise has become brainwashed and crazy. We all get hyper and jump on the couch, he just did it when he was on Oprah's show. Even if you hate what his personal life has become, you should be able to put that aside and not let it affect how you think of him as an actor. He was great in War of the Worlds, too, and it looks like he'll be great in his upcoming work. He went from being appreciated to underrated and it's all because people can't separate personal life from acting career.