Revamped Title Information Page

This is where you'll find information about updates to the site -- new features we've introduced, bugs we've fixed, and anything else which might be of interest to the community!
mpowell
1201 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Revamped Title Information Page

Post by mpowell »

howabe wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:56 pm
Hi,

Quick bug I've noticed on the Games side - trying to navigate to a Collection that a title is in via the title's information page will direct you to the Film side, where the collection obviously doesn't exist.
(For example, Cyberpunk 2077 is in the collection "Polish video games", games.criticker.com/games/?collection=82830. Clicking the Collection on its page instead tries to go to games.criticker.com/films/?collection=82830, resulting in a 404.)

On a related note, I think the Collections section is a vast improvement with the posters and Collection stats displayed. What dictates which posters appear here for a Collection? I'd be in favour of eventually seeing similar for the list of all Collections.

One personal gripe with the redesign, again solely from the Games side of things, is the placement of some of a title's info on the Overview page. I think at the very least the platform(s) should be displayed as close to the top of the page as possible for ease of reference, as this is likely one of the first/most important things one would look at when deciding if a title is even relevant to your means of accessing it.

Edit: It seems for Expansions, nowhere is it stated which title the title being viewed is an Expansion for. I think this is definitely required information.
Thanks for these bugs and thoughts! I've added action items for each of the problems you've discovered, and we'll update back here once they're fixed up.

And thank you for the kind words about the redesign! We're really happy with it as well, although we recognize there are still some tweaks to make!

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

monclivie wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 9:37 pm
It looks nice, but still, thank you so much for the Switch to Old Version button and allowing everyone to adapt in their own pace. While I understand your intentions to refresh the look for new generations of users, as someone who has spent more than 15 years here, this site feels like a home to me and it's nothing pleasant when someone suddenly starts rearranging things in your home that you are comfortable and familiar with, giving you no choice, so I'm very grateful for not going the "surprise! here comes the change you didn't ask for, we love it so get used to it or leave" way as IMDb, BOM and many others did.

Thanks for those sentiments! We know that Criticker has become a second home to many longtime users, and you all are the lifeblood of the site! It would have been a major mistake to alienate our most loyal group. At the same time, we're glad you recognize the need for the site to evolve... Criticker just can't remain static, looking forever the same as it did in 2010. (There are plenty of movies about someone who doesn't ever change or adapt, and it never works out well for them!)

We'll continue being mindful of our existing user base, even as we take the necessary steps to modernize Criticker and make it more attractive for others to join.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

Ununnilium wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:26 pm
Firstly, as a long-time user, this is going to take some getting used to, but I think I'm going to enjoy it in the long term. :>

Secondly, one thing I noticed is that even high-scoring PSIs are in red, rather than the color they'd be in my ratings. Is this intentional?
Thank you! And no... that sounds like a bug. We'll take a look into this, and update here. High-scoring PSIs should be in the color you'd expect.

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

AFlickering wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:14 am
thanks for the hard work as always! my only request right now while browsing on desktop: on detailed ratings view can we have the option of more entries per page? 25 isn't really enough when i'm wanting to quickly scroll through my kump ratings and there's 100 of them (but i also don't want to have to click to view reviews so detailed is my only option). i also think the entries are unnecessarily tanky in this view, there's a happy medium between this and the compact view IMO. i've currently got the site zoomed out to 80% just to make it feel more scrollable. i'm curious to know if others agree or it's just me though.
This is a great idea, and one we've been talking about. We're thinking of also experimenting with an "infinite scroll" type approach, so that new ratings load as you move down the page -- that would be new to us, but feels like it might make sense here. Allowing users to customize the number of reviews they see per page would be much easier to implement... we'll play around with both. This is listed as an enhancement to the page.
AFlickering wrote:
i believe the kumpel average rating is also missing right now, which i use pretty regularly when making watchlists and whatnot. can you make it so the avg on the top right changes to this when you click the kumpels tab?
This one sounds like a bug. We'll take a look into it soon, and let you know what we find!

And thank you for your thoughts!!

mpowell
1201 Ratings

Post by mpowell »

frederic_g54 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:21 am
I understand why some users aren't particulary excited in using the revamped title page, personally I welcome these changes with open arms. Congrats on all the work you've put in!

For now, the only small adjusment I would suggest is moving the "More information at IMDb" button to the top, right beneath the 'Director' and 'Starring' info. Personally, I like to access IMDb related info in an efficient manner, without having to scroll all the way down to the bottom of a title page. The spot where that button is currently located feels rather weird and inefficient. Thank you for considering this!
Thanks for this idea, and your thoughts! Naturally, we don't want to really encourage people to navigate away from Criticker, but then again we never plan on having all the information IMDB has, so can see why it's still important to include a link. We'll definitely consider this!

izleryazar
2144 Ratings

Post by izleryazar »

It is great to see this kind of modernization progress on Criticker. I am looking for the other improvements.

I like the new title page very much, but I would prefer it if there was a dark version available. It would be great to have a switch button for toggling between dark and light modes.

mynameisdoug
2205 Ratings

Post by mynameisdoug »

I like the old one better. It was a lot more information dense. And you didn't have to click on the (see more) button to see everything

AFlickering
3010 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

mpowell wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:08 am
AFlickering wrote:
thanks for the hard work as always! my only request right now while browsing on desktop: on detailed ratings view can we have the option of more entries per page? 25 isn't really enough when i'm wanting to quickly scroll through my kump ratings and there's 100 of them (but i also don't want to have to click to view reviews so detailed is my only option). i also think the entries are unnecessarily tanky in this view, there's a happy medium between this and the compact view IMO. i've currently got the site zoomed out to 80% just to make it feel more scrollable. i'm curious to know if others agree or it's just me though.
This is a great idea, and one we've been talking about. We're thinking of also experimenting with an "infinite scroll" type approach, so that new ratings load as you move down the page -- that would be new to us, but feels like it might make sense here. Allowing users to customize the number of reviews they see per page would be much easier to implement... we'll play around with both. This is listed as an enhancement to the page.
thanks! i should add that allowing the option for reviews to be visible by default on compact view would probably be the best solution for me, but i get if you think that goes against the spirit of what compact view is for.

BadCosmonaut
4431 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

It seems like some info is redundant in certain ways. Like when you first open a movie page, at the top you see the Director and Starring fields. Scroll down and there is a Cast & Info section that also has Director and Starring fields along with other fields. Then you can click to the separate Cast & Info page and it has all that same info again...

Would it be better to pick one of those three sections (to hold all the info) then delete the other two sections?

BadCosmonaut
4431 Ratings

Post by BadCosmonaut »

frederic_g54 wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:21 am
...For now, the only small adjusment I would suggest is moving the "More information at IMDb" button to the top, right beneath the 'Director' and 'Starring' info. Personally, I like to access IMDb related info in an efficient manner, without having to scroll all the way down to the bottom of a title page. The spot where that button is currently located feels rather weird and inefficient...
I support this, since I click to IMDB a lot as well (since I also rate all my movies on IMDB and just to look up info like trivia or whatever).