Runtime for Series

Wondering how Criticker works, or have a question that doesn't seem to fit under requests or bugs?
Skavau
153 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Runtime for Series

Post by Skavau »

Is it supposed to be the average runtime per episode, or the overall series length? One of my submissions was approved with the runtime clearly being the whole show, but another it was based on the average episode length.

EDIT: Seems most TV shows do runtime by episode, not their overall length.

geohawk
1441 Ratings

Re: Runtime for Series

Post by geohawk »

Runtime is not a default data-entry field for TV Series. When you select TV Series as the Type, the field should disappear. Similar to how most title types don't have an End Year or Creator field. Leaving the field blank should be fine.

With streaming, shows don't have the uniform length that they did on broadcast TV where precise scheduling and (set-asides for advertising) are required.

Skavau
153 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

geohawk wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:14 pm
Runtime is not a default data-entry field for TV Series. When you select TV Series as the Type, the field should disappear. Similar to how most title types don't have an End Year or Creator field. Leaving the field blank should be fine.

With streaming, shows don't have the uniform length that they did on broadcast TV where precise scheduling and (set-asides for advertising) are required.
Oh I know, it can only be added after the entry has been added. But I am asking about what the standards are.

So for instance, Band of Brothers has the overall series length: https://www.criticker.com/tv/Band-of-Brothers/

The Expanse shows the average episode length: https://www.criticker.com/tv/The-Expanse/ (which seems to be a bit wrong), but I digress

Now Band of Brothers is a miniseries, and The Expanse is not. So am I to conclude that if I am adding a miniseries, I should add up the overall length rather than the average episode length?

geohawk
1441 Ratings

Post by geohawk »

No standard has been stated - there is no guidance on the form, but the lack of the field on the TV Series form suggested entering a runtime would be not standard.

I do pretty much the same thing for limited series.

Skavau
153 Ratings

Post by Skavau »

geohawk wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:02 pm
No standard has been stated - there is no guidance on the form, but the lack of the field on the TV Series form suggested entering a runtime would be not standard.

I do pretty much the same thing for limited series.
Ah, well, I only thought about it because some of my entries were approved and runtimes were added in - making me think the mods want there to be runtimes if possible.