The Expanse (2015-2022) TV Series
The crew of the Rocinante discover a derelict vessel which holds a secret that may be devastating to human existence.
Cast and Information
Seasons: 1, Episodes: 3 - Episode List
Created By: Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby
Directed By: Robert Lieberman, Mark Fergus, Terry McDonough, Hawk Ostby, Breck Eisner
Written By: Mark Fergus, Hawk Ostby, Naren Shankar
Starring: David Strathairn, Thomas Jane, Shohreh Aghdashloo, Shawn Doyle, Cas Anvar, Steven Strait, Chad L. Coleman, Dominique Tipper, Cara Gee, Wes Chatham, Frankie Adams
Genres: Drama, Sci-fi, Suspense/Thriller, Mystery
The Expanse belongs to 17 collections
1. Based on a Book (collaborative: moderated by iconogassed - 22 stars)
2. Science fiction TV series (public: djross - 8 stars)
3. TV - IMDB Top 250 (fiction) (public: KasperL - 5 stars)
4. edkrak films to see (public: edkrak - 4 stars)
5. Availability: Amazon Prime Canada (collaborative: moderated by geohawk - 3 stars)
6. Amazon Original Programming (collaborative: moderated by gyrro7 - 2 stars)
7. Series (public: cankutozturk - 2 stars)
8. Space Operas (collaborative: moderated by CosmicMonkey - 1 star)
9. SyFy Originals (collaborative: moderated by joseywales)
10. Availability: CraveTV (Canada) (collaborative: moderated by geohawk)
11. TV Series: Officially Cancelled (collaborative: moderated by tipar)
12. Network: Syfy (collaborative: moderated by Victoriouz)
13. TV Series - 2: High Priority (public: KasperL)
14. TV Series downloaded (public: volt26)
15. Favorite TV shows (public: PerryStroika)
16. r/television's Favorite Shows (2020) (public: rw123)
17. The Critical Drinker: The Drinker Recommends... (public: BeeDub)
Browse the full list of collections
All Ratings | With Reviews
TCI | Percentile | Date Rated | # Stars (Reviews)
Space action, world-spanning political intrigue, spaceships spaceships spaceships. All very intelligent, one of the best sci-fi shows in the history of Solar system. Also one of the too rare beasts, having six seasons AND a great ending.
A little slow, and the combination of casting and cinematography make the actors indistinguishable. It does have a compelling story though, that really comes together at the end of the first season. From the 2nd and 3rd seasons, this is becoming one of my favourite shows. The depth of characters, the complexity of the narrative, and the season payoffs really make it worth watching.
Caused me to read the books which were good.
S5. Grand space opera done right. A very mature show with more or less consistent quality throughout its five seasons. Even the nowadays standard diversity and inclusivity casting doesn't feel forced down our throats as in almost every contemporary show and film, but is elegantly executed and feels natural. Great characters (Thomas Jane is spectacular), intricate but simple to follow plot (i.e. graciously unfolded) and a thoroughly entertaining and well-written story. Highest recommendation.
Amazing sci-fi, delivering on all fronts. It *expands* on our current political issues and makes them planetary. Political drama, interpersonal drama, deep character development, weird love story... ALL IN SPACE! The series truly feel unique and extremely engaging. It manages to show humanity in different scenarios throughout the seasons, every one of which - exciting and yet again showing people's true colors. Beautiful show, easy recommendatiton.
There are some shortcomings, but it's such a beautiful piece of sci-fi art. They got near-future space opera right, which no other series of movie has been able to do so far. Not only that, but they managed to tell a complicated story with a satisfying ending, which is beyond rare in TV nowadays. Great show, if you're unsatisfied with the stories left to tell consider the show an ad for the books: they're even better, read them.
The good: The idea that space is a place you could get killed in 10 000 different ways is good. There is an immediate sense of danger.The bad: politics is naive, the writing is ambitious but predictable and soap operatic. Why is this show beloved? My psi was 85. I sense there is a tribalist, parochial limited love of the sci-fi genre that forego any critical faculty.This desperately wanted to be the next Galactica or Firefly, but falls short of what is expected of a high-end TV series in 2022.
Not a big fan of sci-fi AT ALL. The Expanse changed that for me. I fell in love with it visually (guys, dial down on the blueness please). Zero-G sequences, spaceship battles and maneuvers, space walks... all perfectly crafted. Unfortunately, that's about it. 5 seasons in and I'm still unconvinced by the plot (season 3 and onwards). Acting was very shaky. Chatham, by far the best. His polar opposite? Aghdashloo. Casting her was a terrible mistake. S1: 80 | S2: 85 | S3: 80 | S4: 70 | S5: 80
|Average Percentile 70.59% from 686 Ratings|