Doug Reese's 250 Favorite Films!

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
ShogunRua
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Doug Reese's 250 Favorite Films!

Post by ShogunRua »

DougReese wrote:Yep, you got me. Mommy totally made me feel like a top 250 would be used to draw attention. :roll:

C'mon dude, I've already explained. I'm not wanting to talk about my list, but the film on it. Instead of starting 250 separate threads, why not just do it this way?

I think Daddy made you special enough to try to run off as macho on a movie-related forum... :shock:

Christ, man, c'mon. We're talking about movies here.

A random list of 250 films is as worthless as simply listing the highest 250 ranked films on IMDB. If you had interest in talking about movies, you would have taken a smaller group of films, and written anywhere from one to four sentences about why you liked each one. There would then be a natural prompt for people to agree or disagree with that notion, and explain why.

In that case, there would have been, get this, discussion about the films in discussion, instead of meaningless observations (not only from you) about what is pretentious or not. The last thing any forum needs is a deluge of never-ending "Top X" lists.

Why not just take the first 10-15 movies on there, and briefly write about them? Much more interesting for everyone involved.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

hey shogun, i got your mail for you while you were gone:

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

HAHA, that has been one of my favorite Internet images since I first saw it last year. Do you know who made it?

DougReese
4644 Ratings

Post by DougReese »

ShogunRua wrote:Why not just take the first 10-15 movies on there, and briefly write about them? Much more interesting for everyone involved.

I really think this would be a fun idea, actually, it's kinda like what I wanted to do before - go on little "film quests"... like I wanted to first start with watching and reviewing all the Disney animated films, or films by a certain director, etc. I wanted to start one of those film quests soon.

I was hoping some would choose a film off the list and just start discussing it. It probably would be better if I started the discussion. I'm gonna work on the Disney quest soon. :)

Gregzilla
2124 Ratings

Post by Gregzilla »

I just finished a "quest", as you call it. A Godzilla & friends quest. All 28 Godzilla movies, Rodan, The Mothras and 8 other tangientially related movies (41 total). I started in February and finished in August and it was alot of fun. I watched them in release order and found it interesting seeing the evolution of the series/genre. Oh yeah I did miss Rebirth of Mothra III, But that's ok by me. After I had finished, I realized I was 3 short of watching all of Toho's Daikaijyu films.

I plan on doing Gamera next year.

PetrosTser
2245 Ratings

Post by PetrosTser »

Judging from the date the last comment was posted, I am probably a bit late, but how old are you, DougReese?

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

PetrosTser wrote:Judging from the date the last comment was posted, I am probably a bit late, but how old are you, DougReese?

I think he mentioned in another topic that he was like 19 years old at the time (so either 20 or 21 now), and that the 4500+ films on his list don't even account for much of what he has seen.

PetrosTser
2245 Ratings

Post by PetrosTser »

Thanks for answering. I wonder where he finds the time (and, frankly, the courage) to watch so many films per day. Isn't he working or studying or something (that was a rhetorical question, you don't need to answer)?

cameron326
1094 Ratings

Post by cameron326 »

Didn't think that much of Dog Day Afternoon. Perhaps it captured a popular sentiment at the time with the fuck the establishment vibe, but it seemed to want to be a comedy and a drama/thriller but did neither very well. The first half wasn't bad, but when the guy's lover turned up it just got ridiculous and it dragged.

Also, six feet under - couldn't get into that either. The first few episodes were ok but I found two of the main characters - the elder brother, and particularly his high maintenance girlfriend, really dull. The only character I found interesting was the weird younger brother. I don't know if my problem was with the actress Rachel Griffiths herself or the character Brenda, but either way I found her incredibly annoying.

by Devol
1140 Ratings

Post by by Devol »

I thought Six Feet Under was the answer to all things UGH.

cameron326 wrote: The first half (of Dog Day Afternoon) wasn't bad, but when the guy's lover turned up it just got ridiculous and it dragged.

yeah I'll go with that too.