The Year That Was 2007

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
td888
3959 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: The Year That Was 2007

Post by td888 »

My best 10 movies:
Rendition (An excellent movie. This movie gives a great insight in the US political mind-set in the post 9/11 era . Also, don't forget to watch the extra documentary on the DVD).

Mr. Brooks (Great movie, the story-lines keep tumbling and tumbling, creating an avalanche of big and small twists and surprises. All the actors give an excellent performance. This is the best of Costner's movies. I took Costner some time after his Waterworld crap to get his act together but after the Guardian and this movie, he's back on my favourite actor list)

Transformers (I didn't expect too much, but it's actually quite enjoyable, great action-scene's and special effects. Also good attention to detail , no silly solutions like die hard 4.0. It also has some funny references to other action movies. Overall I had much fun watching this movie, and this LaBeouf guy is a promising actor. I'm curious about his next movies.)

Stardust (2 hours of fun, just great entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.)

Shoot Em Up (A Max Payne movie. Just blasting fun.)

Grindhouse

A Mighty Heart

Live Free or Die Hard (Plus: some very original action scenes. Minus: the IT-stuff is a bit silly. If you ever receive a virus on r pc, don't press 'del', u'll blow up r house.... ;) Overall: a damn good movie)

The Kingdom

Michael Clayton

My worst 10:
88 Minutes (A girl (forensic student) gets seduced by a serial-killer (already in prison) and manages to blow-up a car, copy-cat and execute several murders, shoot at the main-character, ride a moterbike, and tie-up two persons at the same time all within a day's work. She can get a role in the next fantastic four (five?) movie....)

Catacombs (Basically a scary B movie, made 10 years too late. After 5 minutes watching I already guessed the plot. A lot of screaming and moaning, shaking the camera, and running around. If you're really bored, watch it on TV or something.)

Code Name: The Cleaner

Zodiac (This film starts out interesting, but fails completely in the middle. It goes on, and on and nothing interesting happens. It's way too long (almost 3 hours!) Only the last bit is mildly interesting (if you're still awake). I gave Downey Jr one last shot (after Kiss Kiss Bang Bang), but he's defintely not one of my favourite actors. I'll stay away from his films. I guess this movie is interesting if you know/experienced the time when the zodiac killer was active. Otherwise, stay away...)

Perfect Stranger (All the ingredients are there, some good actors and an interesting premise, but the movie is cramped with all the effects and twists they could think of, so the overall effect is a crappy movie. It's unbalanced, strangly edited, and a movie is NEVER good when a main actor has to hold a monologue for 5 minutes to explain the plot. Stay away from this one. Also, why is this movie rated R? There's absolutely nothing to see to be shocked about.)
Species: The Awakening (The elements of a exciting film are there: hybrid human-aliens rooming around, a wacky scientist with a sexy assisant, a gritty setting in Mexico, but it all combines to a standard B-movie. It has some memorable scenes like the hybrid-alien nun jumping on some roofs and the 'end-fight' between the two women.)

The Number 23 (Carrey can't do serious movies. Period.)

The Hills Have Eyes II (Terrible movie. Cheap rip-off of the first one. Just some kids with shiny white teeth pretending to be soldiers. I was really waiting for all the 'actors' to be killed one be one, so I could leave the cinema. I especially disliked the black guy, what a terrible actor. Stay clear from this one.)

Wrong Turn 2: Dead End (Compelete crap.)

All together I rated about 70 movies from 2007.

Liquefied
1432 Ratings

Post by Liquefied »

1 - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2 - Zodiac
3 - There Will Be Blood
4 - No Country For Old Men
5 - Into the Wild
6 - Atonement
7 - Hot Fuzz
8 - Eastern Promises
9 - 3:10 to Yuma
10 - Gone Baby Gone

Suture Self
2710 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

30. 300
29. Zodiac
28. American Gangster
27. Live Free or Die Hard
26. Ocean's 13
25. Cassandra's Dream
24. Away from Her
23. Sicko
22. Sunshine
21. Juno
20.Rescue Dawn
19. Enchanted
18. Before The Devil Know's You're Dead
17. The Bourne Ultimatum
16. The Orphanage
15. Knocked Up
14. Eastern Promises
13. Superbad
12. The Savages
11. Gone Baby Gone
10. The Assassination of Jesse James
9. Ratatouille
8. Sweeny Todd
7. Into the Wild
6. Michael Clayton
5. Atonement
4. No Country for Old Men
3. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
2. 4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days
1. There Will Be Blood

kakki
356 Ratings

Post by kakki »

I still haven't watched all the movies I wanted I'm in mourning. My beloved Dad passed away this month. :cry:

However, here's my list for now: ;)

1. Elite Squad - Violence and corruption
2. Atonement - Tenderness and Love
3. Not by Chance - Attachment
4. Ratatouille - How to be different and respected?
5. The Simpsons Movie - TV on cinema
6. The Bourne Ultimatum - Don't remember much
7. 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days - Deep and Heavy
8 - Fracture - Everyone has a weak point
9 - Spider-Man 3 - Emotive and Dark
10 - 300 - Epic with brave and honor

Suture Self
2710 Ratings

Post by Suture Self »

I've been dying to see Elite Squad, but it's not going to be showing here for a long time. :[

Katya
2097 Ratings

Post by Katya »

1. There Will Be Blood
2. Atonement
3. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
4. The Man From Earth
5. Yumurta
6. 3:10 to Yuma
7. Into the Wild
8. Gone Baby Gone
9. Zodiac
10. Grindhouse

Philip
541 Ratings

Post by Philip »

I noticed when I was checking the movies dated 2007 that I've seen that I need to take a serious look at my rankings. I mean, I ranked "Hot Fuzz" as a tier 9? :shock:

I haven't really seen that many movies from 2007 , partially because some movies haven't reached Sweden yet, but mainly because I'm a cheap son of a bitch and don't want to spend 100 SEK ($16) on watching a movie when I can just as well rent or download one.

However, one movie I did see and that must have been the biggest disappointment of the year was "There Will Be Blood". I don't know why, really. I mean the acting was great, the story was great, the camerawork was great, the scrip was great, everything was pretty much flawless. Still, there was just something missing, you know. Have you ever gotten that feeling after watching a movie? There's something you don't quite like about it but you can't quite put your finger on it. Well, I guess I just got too worked up about it before I saw it.

Visually, "The Assassination of Jesse James..." was the strongest contender, hands down, no questions asked. "300" really should have been up there fighting for first place, because that's what it's trying to do. Actually, the visuals was its single and only quality. But, to quote "Boobjuice": "it's more of a movie to titilate straight male viewers with homosexual themes under the guise of hyper-macho warfare".
Word. :!:

Most underrated film would be "Sunshine", the slow pace so many people hated I actually found quite appealing. Insane madmen and dying stars set in 10 bpm; I like that. I'd hit that.

Movie I'm most pissed of I haven't seen yet is without a doubt "No Country For Old Men". With the Coen brothers directing and with a PSI of 83, how can I not want to see it? Also I want to take this moment to thank AFlickering for giving away (parts of) the ending. Appreciate it.

AFlickering
3002 Ratings

Post by AFlickering »

Also I want to take this moment to thank AFlickering for giving away (parts of) the ending. Appreciate it.

i suspect that won't affect your viewing experience at all, it's not even close to being a spoiler, but my apologies regardless. i'd edit it but the forum doesn't allow edits for old posts. don't let it put you off anyway, it's so damn good ;)

KGB
1335 Ratings

Post by KGB »

I didn't quite see what was the part that AFlickering supposedly ruined, but for me telling one little bit of the last 30 minutes is a spoiler. The ending is THAT delicate that you just can't mess with it.
Anyhow, I haven't made my mind yet if 'No Country For Old Men' is really such a masterpiece or if people see in it things that aren't there. It's a strange film though, that's for sure; such a thing that you wouldn't expect to see even if you were told what goes on in the film word to word. There are only a few cases on such films I can name; 'Aguirre', 'Tideland', '2001', 'Fanny & Alexander'... It's a beast of a film, really. And somehow that's exactly the reason I can barely put it in my 10th tier.

Philip
541 Ratings

Post by Philip »

AFlickering wrote:
Also I want to take this moment to thank AFlickering for giving away (parts of) the ending. Appreciate it.

i suspect that won't affect your viewing experience at all, it's not even close to being a spoiler, but my apologies regardless. i'd edit it but the forum doesn't allow edits for old posts. don't let it put you off anyway, it's so damn good ;)

In my unlimited goodness and mercy, I have decided to pardon you. Let this be a lesson!
And about it putting me of: There's not a chance in hell I'm not seeing this movie ;)