Star Wars: Episode 7 - The Force Awakens

For posts related to a specific film -- beware of spoilers o ye who dareth enter!
Bojangles
2727 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Star Wars: Episode 7 - The Force Awakens

Post by Bojangles »

[spoiler]What does this movie offer other than riffs on the original and action set-pieces? The Originals offered strong characterizations and philosophical/religious themes which were heartfelt if not highly intellectual. Even just basic pathos or emotional manipulation--was anyone moved by anything that happened in TFA? I don't find movies exciting half as much as I find them moving. TFA is one vaguely exciting moment after another. And The Force is just a superpower at this point, nothing more. The girl is an X-Men character. Remember the mysticism and mystery of Luke tapping into The Force in the Originals? They at least tried to reach for profundity...

I didn't like any of the new actors other than Oscar Isaac. (Gleeson's Hitler impression was okay too.) Carrie Fischer might have had the best performance in the damn movie. And I know that Mark Hamill is supposedly a shit actor, but he hurdled over nearly everyone with roughly 15 seconds of face time. This dude seen some shit. His attempts at charisma in the Originals were poor, but I think he has the potential to do something great in Ep8 if they allow him to convey some sort of somber darkness. They spent Episode7 building up mystique, uncertainty, and perhaps ambivalence in Skywalker. If they wind up taking what they earned there and spending it on callbacks and comic relief in Episode8, then it cinches this new trilogy as a wasted opportunity for everyone except the folks at The Disney Company, who I can only assume are installing toilets made of solid gold in their corporate offices as we speak.[/spoiler]

Stewball
2188 Ratings

Post by Stewball »

"Religious themes"??? I don't think they've ever had anything deeper than a 10% discount on action figures at Wal Mart. Or K-Mart before that, and we all know that "K-Mart sucks".

Bojangles
2727 Ratings

Post by Bojangles »

Yoda is reminiscent of a Zen Buddhist guru and The Force is the oneness of everything. Eastern religion. There is probably Christian stuff as well that I just can't see. Lucas definitely put myth, religion, and transcendent mysteries into the original movies. The prequels seem more concerned with politics, but I never did watch those ones very closely.

Mentaculus
3438 Ratings

Post by Mentaculus »

I think you're both right. Saying "religious themes" are in Star Wars is true, but it's like saying there are "religious themes" in Avatar. Both are the kind of knock-off brand of Joseph Campbell / Gaia theology you see in the bargain bin on the way out of Barnes and Noble.

Plus, the Hero's Journey is in every single movie. SWFA is certainly no exception. [The prequels may have a bit of 'Chosen One' 'to balance the force' angle, but again, Barnes & Noble low-rent version.]

90sCoffee
2244 Ratings

Post by 90sCoffee »

The reason that this is my favourite Star Wars film outside of Rey/Fin/Poe and the fast paced intense plot, is the acting. It's the best acted Star Wars film by a mile. The prequels had terrible dialogue so not that much could be done there (though Ewan McGregor tried), the originals are generally well acted but they are a bit dated and at times cheesy.

Here, things felt more modern and less silly (minus those CGI monsters trying to get on the Millenium Falcon). It's exactly what I'd hoped for in a Star Wars film. The next one I know will be slower paced but I have faith in it now.

And there has been an awakening, a bunch of casual fans like me are actually exploring Star Wars now, the video games, the Clone/Rebel Wars series, the books, etc.

martryn
1993 Ratings

Post by martryn »

I look at the movie as homage to the original series. Let's set something up for the other two films while reminding fans that we remember our roots. I loved Oscar Isaac's character. I thought Finn was alright when he was with Isaac. Rey annoyed me. Han disappointed me. Chewbacca was great, and I'm glad that they're setting something up for him to do other than be a sidekick. The two main villains were almost the best part of the film. Kylo Ren was a broody young adult struggling with some heavy shit and was unfiltered whiny emotion. The Harry Potter guy was stark efficiency and Nazi fascism set in a galaxy far, far away.

My biggest complaint about the film were the lack of familiar alien species. Where the fuck were the twilecks?

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

martryn wrote: I loved Oscar Isaac's character. I thought Finn was alright when he was with Isaac. Rey annoyed me.

Weird; I felt almost the exact opposite. Thought Poe (Isaac) was extremely annoying, and I didn't care for Finn at all. Rey charmed my socks off.