The 30 Harshest Filmmaker-on-Filmmaker Insults In History

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
MmzHrrdb
Your TCI: na

The 30 Harshest Filmmaker-on-Filmmaker Insults In History

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I was wondering whether to put this on General Discussion or Filmmakers, but considering the amount of focus on the people themselves I thought it more appropriate. Move if necessary

http://flavorwire.com/200745/the-30-har ... in-history

Some of these are pretty sound and are actually a bit constructive or critical (Bergman on Antonioni, Welles on Godard, Korine on Tarintino, etc.), some are just hilarious with how hard/little they try (black-on-black Tyler Perry vs Spike Lee, anything involving Kevin Smith or Vincent Gallo [lol at calling other people talentless], etc)

Speaking of Kevin Smith, I'm pretty much indifferent on the guy (hate his aloof fanboys way more than him), but these series of quotes always crack me up
Tim Burton on Kevin Smith (after Smith jokingly accused Burton of stealing the ending of Planet of the Apes from a Smith comic book):
“Anyone who knows me knows I would never read a comic book. And I would especially never read anything created by Kevin Smith.”

Kevin Smith on Tim Burton (in response to “I would never read a comic book”):
“Which, to me, explains fucking Batman.”

So true on both accounts. [spoiler]Yes Smith's foray into comics is worse then every film he has worked on combined[/spoiler]

Some of these are here just because of their names, any other famous quips? I remember hearing Truffaut say about Pather Panchali that he didn't want to watch a film about peasants eating with their hands. Man, file that one under the retarded comments.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Re: The 30 Harshest Filmmaker-on-Filmmaker Insults In History

Post by ShogunRua »

Kevin Smith on Tim Burton (in response to “I would never read a comic book”):
“Which, to me, explains fucking Batman.”

Yeah, the 1989 version of Batman! There was a terrible film! You tell him, Kevin!

Oh, wait...it was actually a damn good action comedy a hundred times better than any of the crappy, repetitive Batman comics that came out, and the first quality superhero film ever made. And to this day, one of the four best superhero movies I have seen. (Granted, it's a garbage genre)

I was surprised by the insults Vincent Gallo supposedly made about Sofia Coppola and her father, though; Francis Ford Coppola cast Gallo as the lead in "Tetro" in 2009, and praised him on more than one occasion.

In fact, I'm curious what the source for that insult is, and when it was uttered.

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I KNEW I wanted to say something but forgot what it was just before posting. The date for many of these quotes would do a lot to explain where these come from. Eastwood's comment probably came just after Spike Lee criticizing Flags of Our Fathers, I don't see a quote like that just coming out of nowhere for Eastwood. Speaking of Lee, anytime a black filmmaker talks bad about Tyler Perry is just common sense, it doesn't even really deserve to be on here. There was an earlier comment about Gallo hating Jonze because he was a talentless New York Jew who hung out with black people (he better never meet me then), don't know if the comment on the site was from a recent interview. Of course the Smith and Burton comments were fueled by An Evening With Kevin Smith interviews, and most of the Speilberg comments were later in the career.

Pickpocket
3024 Ratings

Post by Pickpocket »

ShogunRua wrote:
I was surprised by the insults Vincent Gallo supposedly made about Sofia Coppola and her father, though; Francis Ford Coppola cast Gallo as the lead in "Tetro" in 2009, and praised him on more than one occasion.

In fact, I'm curious what the source for that insult is, and when it was uttered.

http://www.hikaritakano.co/index.php?op ... Itemid=129

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

hahaha... definitely some funny stuff in there;

13. Clint Eastwood on Spike Lee:
“A guy like him should shut his face.”

&

30. Uwe Boll on Michael Bay:
“I’m not a fucking retard like Michael Bay.”

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

Pickpocket wrote:
ShogunRua wrote:

http://www.hikaritakano.co/index.php?op ... Itemid=129

Thanks. Early 2004, then. My opinion of Francis Ford Coppola has gone up even more now; that is awfully big of him to overlook such insults and give Gallo the lead in his picture.

TrixRabbi
4057 Ratings

Post by TrixRabbi »

Am I the only one who felt Gallo's comments against Sofia Coppola came off as extremely sexist? Maybe it wasn't about her being a woman, but insinuating that the only reason she's making films is because she's fucking a filmmaker is extremely offensive to me. It really does surprise me FF Coppola cast him in Tetro, and it makes me wonder whether he knew about Gallo's comments before filming. Honestly if I were Coppola, I could look past an insult directed at myself, but what he said about his daughter was terrible.

And yeah, the Eastwood comment on Spike Lee was after Lee made comments about there being no black people in Flags of our Fathers (Which since the military was still segregated in WWII would have been historically inaccurate).

Also, I like Kevin Smith movies for the most part. They're cinematic junk food but they're enjoyable. That being said Smith needs to shut the fuck up and realize that he's not some almighty, legendary filmmaker. The squabble with Burton is like two kids on the playground bickering.

ShogunRua
0 Ratings

Post by ShogunRua »

TrixRabbi wrote:Am I the only one who felt Gallo's comments against Sofia Coppola came off as extremely sexist? Maybe it wasn't about her being a woman, but insinuating that the only reason she's making films is because she's fucking a filmmaker is extremely offensive to me.

Why is it offensive to you, personally? Are you related to Sofia? And what if he was speaking from personal knowledge, and it was well-known that Sofia was promiscuous in Hollywood circles? Would that change your perception of the comment?

Nowadays, whenever people react to a comment about a celebrity, it seems like the last thing they take into account is the veracity of the statement. Personally, I don't know whether what Gallo said was true or not, so I will withhold my judgment.

TrixRabbi wrote:The squabble with Burton is like two kids on the playground bickering.

I didn't see it that way. Burton simply made an honest comment; he doesn't read comic books, nor is he a fan of Smith's writing.

Kevin Smith then made an insult, which, while it sounded snappy, didn't actually make any sense. Is there anyone who actually thought the Tim Burton Batman films were bad?! At the very least, they're light-years ahead of virtually every other comic book adaptation/super hero picture out there, all the way until today.

ayall
1652 Ratings

Post by ayall »

ShogunRua wrote:
TrixRabbi wrote:Am I the only one who felt Gallo's comments against Sofia Coppola came off as extremely sexist? Maybe it wasn't about her being a woman, but insinuating that the only reason she's making films is because she's fucking a filmmaker is extremely offensive to me.

Why is it offensive to you, personally? Are you related to Sofia? And what if he was speaking from personal knowledge, and it was well-known that Sofia was promiscuous in Hollywood circles? Would that change your perception of the comment?

Nowadays, whenever people react to a comment about a celebrity, it seems like the last thing they take into account is the veracity of the statement. Personally, I don't know whether what Gallo said was true or not, so I will withhold my judgment.

TrixRabbi wrote:The squabble with Burton is like two kids on the playground bickering.

I didn't see it that way. Burton simply made an honest comment; he doesn't read comic books, nor is he a fan of Smith's writing.

Kevin Smith then made an insult, which, while it sounded snappy, didn't actually make any sense. Is there anyone who actually thought the Tim Burton Batman films were bad?! At the very least, they're light-years ahead of virtually every other comic book adaptation/super hero picture out there, all the way until today.

I agree that Tim Burtons Batman was great, it's one of my higher rated films.
And though I think Kevin Smith was great at writing a script/dialogue and developing characters, he has since sold out and is writing pretentious crap. I didn't like that comment he made about PTA, that's for sure. ;)

The Tim Burton not following the comics is very similar to the argument we had about x-men... In my opinion, it doesn't need to follow 1:1, it's a movie not a comic... so you build on the core plot lines and try to develop something that will adapt to the screen. I think Tim did a pretty good job with Batman and i don't think an over abundance of comic reading/following should have really been a prerequisite (again, same with the more recent x-men movies).

MmzHrrdb

Post by MmzHrrdb »

I don't think Burton's Batman was necessarily terrible, but for some reason I can't look at it the same anymore, but I still get a thrill from it. I genuinely like Batman Returns, so take that as you will. It's all the points from the first film with added creativity. I don't mind if comic movies stray from the source material, you need to adapt (comics should not play out like films, and films can't get away with the conventions of comics afterall), but when you make the Fantastic Four and Rise of the Silver Surfer that's where I draw the line. The thing that makes it funny was this was when two filmmakers who were at the height of throwing away their careers still felt like they were important.

------

Here are two more quotes, Kubrick on Speilberg (as told by Gilliam one minute in)

That is as harsh as it is true

And Greenaway on Scorcese

A lot more critical than most, but man the way he delivers this is great