Check out the short film I directed: Haunted Ship

Discuss your favorite actors, directors or screenwriters
Anomaly
1894 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Re: Check out the short film I directed: Haunted Ship

Post by Anomaly »

CMonster wrote:As a general rule of thumb, we hate movies like Transformers, but audiences eat that shit up and ask for a second helping.

You also shouldn't think of the audience as a singular, monolithic mass of (stupid) people. If you want an explanation for the success of movies like Transformers, then it's mass culture's general beliefs being exploited (and propagated) by the studio system. The audience that made those movies a success isn't the same audience that made stuff like Inception, Toy Story, or Alice in Wonderland a success.

When I said listen to the audience, I mean listen to a wide range of people, and determine for yourself whose opinions are relevant and informed. CMonster is right that criticker is unique, and has less mainstream tastes in general, so take that into account when listening to us.

TV+Film-Hub
2822 Ratings

Post by TV+Film-Hub »

ShogunRua wrote:Actually, I was giving you honest and constructive criticism, the same way I would for a friend, and would want from a friend if they were critiquing my own work.

But if you'd rather respond to it in a condescending, passive-aggressive manner, that's your prerogative. Continue believing you're the greatest thing since sliced bread. I won't waste any more of my time watching your films and thinking of helpful things to point out.

However, this begs a simple question; why start this topic at all, lvlr? So we could all praise you for your incredible genius?

First off, I apologize for giving the impression that I was not interested in hearing your opinion.

But honestly, I think you're being a little touchy about this.
I only responded to one item simply because I don't have the time to give you a long response.
(Please notice the length of my initial post.)

I said there was a lot of unworthy material in the film: I don't see how that doesn't indicate that I agree it isn't perfect.

Finally, I don't happen to agree with your comment about the Achilles tendon, but you shouldn't take offense at that. (Isn't that what you were assuming I had done to you? And weren't you upset about that?)

In conclusion, I apologize if I seemed overly abrupt, I simply didn't have time rehash the details of an old work particularly when (aside the one item I brought up) we were basically in agreement already.
Last edited by TV+Film-Hub on Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:02 am, edited 4 times in total.

TV+Film-Hub
2822 Ratings

Post by TV+Film-Hub »

CMonster wrote: I was less distracted by ... how he fell (looked like he was expecting it and didn't fall so much as went down safely).

I totally agree with that comment, and I'd like to go on the record that was my fault not the actor's. He was great; but in directing it, I was uncertain what I was looking for in the fall. And it shows up as a bad fall. I might go through and put some more digital work on it to make it look like a more painful fall sometime.
Last edited by TV+Film-Hub on Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

TV+Film-Hub
2822 Ratings

Post by TV+Film-Hub »

Anomaly1 wrote:When I said listen to the audience, I mean listen to a wide range of people, and determine for yourself whose opinions are relevant and informed. CMonster is right that criticker is unique, and has less mainstream tastes in general, so take that into account when listening to us.

I've always said: every opinion is valid as it is at least one person's opinion.

As CMonster pointed out:
The major issue with opinions is you can't please every one.

You just need to find the group you wish to please.
And I'm not saying I'm great at that, or else my last film would have been Live Free or Die Hard.
And yes, I love that movie!

TV+Film-Hub
2822 Ratings

Post by TV+Film-Hub »

movieboy wrote:It's in my Top 5 movies. I also absolutely love that movie.

It's my 10, exactly.