Help with a Western

Can't remember that film's name? Post the plot, and see if other users can help.
bhwsyd
0 Ratings
Your TCI: na

Help with a Western

Post by bhwsyd »

Hi all

I have strong memories of a great western I watched at least 30 years ago. I believe it would be from the 1960s but I'm unsure.

The plot sees an ex gun fighter living happily on his farm, but returns to his homestead to find his wife raped and murdered. He becomes aware of a murderous gang of about 4 or 5 that has ridden through the neighbourhood and pursues them one by one.

A distinctive feature is that when he captures each one, he throws them his wife's pocket watch or music box and they open it and a little tune plays; at the end of which he shoots them. I believe the gang has some of his wife's valuable possessions such that he knows he's got the right villians.

The last of the gang members is at least part Native American and much harder to track. The Native American disarms our hero and explains to him that they did not rape and murder his wife and the items they had with them they stole from a neighbouring rancher's property, who must have been the perpretrator. Having no quarrel with each other, they part company.

Interested in your thoughts...

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Re: Help with a Western

Post by TheDenizen »

I wish I knew, sounds like an interesting premise.

Hopefully someone can help you out, I'd like to watch it too!

bhwsyd
0 Ratings

Post by bhwsyd »

After writing the summary above, I entered the key words into google for more searching. After some digging I have come across "The Bravados" with Gregory Peck that looks to be the one. I will try and obtain the movie and check.

TheDenizen
3114 Ratings

Post by TheDenizen »

lol, I've seen The Bravados, but it was several years ago....I don't remember many specifics about the plot.

buddymcl
1075 Ratings

Post by buddymcl »

I agree with "THE BRAVADOS" as the closest plotline.

However the description of the music box fits Lee Van Cleef in "FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE". What made these scenes work was the music by Ennio Morricone and of course Sergio Leones direction.

And of course after 30 years the plots and scenes could have entangled themselves as one movie in your mind. :?

And in any case if you liked that plot gentlemen if any of you have missed them check out "The Outlaw Josey Wales",
"Nevada Smith" , and "Hannie Caulder."